plastic push fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone used the new plastic push fit pipework for a central heating combi system and is it any good, ?
i like the feeling of a good soldered joint but for speed etc is the speedfit system just as good, ?
just have this feeling it will leak and fall apart
any advice please

Sponsored Links
Make sure you use barrier type pipe as non barrier pulls in air and really can bugger up your system. Had to replace several heating systems with non barrier. The fittings are ok handy for quick repairs or for showers, I'm still a firm believer in copper as long as it's well protected from frost.
Also copper looks good nice and straight when coming out of a combi to below floor then go onto plastic and fit copper tails up to rads, just looks better.

Or as they say: ' if it ain't copper it ain't proper'!

Sponsored Links
There's no such thing, now, as copper pushfit. Only the outside bit of eg Cuprofit or Tectite is copper. The functional parts are steel rubber and plastic like the others. I've seen and had far more leaks with Cuprofit /tec than other systems. The current Speedfit (twist to lock) is pretty good, haven't had/seen one leak yet.

Most, now. There's a thin layer you can see from the end, which stops oxygen ingress through the pipe.

Plastics generally are NOT airtight! In the case of the plastic used for plumbing pipe, gases from the atmospere diffuse through the plastic, especially oxygen. The barrier layer stops (or at least limits) this. If oxygen diffuses into (wrong type of) pipework, after a while the rads rust from the inside and you end up with a system full of black or brown sludge and a seized pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back