Playhouse Constructed from Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

If you have read my previous threads regarding building a single skin extension then this is what we have decided to do. Our builder visited yesterday and we went through what we were after he suggested as the extension was to be used as a play room that he would construct it entirely of timber and insulate it well, He would not have it joined directly to the house to avoid planning etc.

Anyway construction is due to start in the new year and it will be a process over a few months, What we looking for now is a supplier for the timber we will need, Our builder is putting a list together of what we will need however I know we need a load of 4x2 pressure treated posts/joists 3m lengths so want to try and get a supplier direct as I am not happy paying b&q prices so wondered if anyone has any recommendations.

Cheers All

Sponsored Links
Not sure what went on in the other thread, but be sure that planning and building regs will not apply - just having it detached from the house is not always a reason for exemption

B&Q or even Wickes prices for timber are competitive to merchants near me, so you need to compare locally before automatically dismissing them

Incidentally, treated timber is not a requirement for timber framed buildings unless you are in sough-east England or thereabouts

Another thing, it may be more economical to buy the timber in 2.4m lengths to match standard plasterboard and OSB/ply and ceiling heights

as long as you realise it must not have sleeping accomodation

although the odd sleep over may not be noticed iff you do please please have a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher in there ;)

Sponsored Links
I Don' t think I can get a shed as big as I am looking for which is 6x3 metre, I also want to put french doors in their. The room will be used soley as a play room but will have electrical items (tv xbox etc), The pressure treated timber would be for the flooring only.

I have taken a look at the building regs before but doubled checked the link you sent through and I am fine, As it will not be above the height of 2.5m as the plan is to have a flat sloping roof, the overall size will be within what is allowed and also it will not be used as a habitable room just a play area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back