playing rugby

Well back home in Wales, Union is the National sport and is taught in every school. We were always told that league was for the snobs and monied people!

Now live in the Midlands and Union is taught here too -just goes to show yet another difference between North and South really :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned it's still a game that gets my kids filthy and covered in mud and stops my darling beloved hubby from talking to me when the tv is on all blardy weekend :confused:

Sponsored Links
we joke here but thats another story for another post...
these are my little lambs and whilst I want a healthy adult life for them and all that...
I worry about fast cars, women, drink, drugs... like every parent I guess.

Where I mainly grew up (8 years) in the West Midlands no-one played rugby. At all. Never taught it in school. It was football, cricket, football and football.

Now I live in the East Midlands (between Leicester and Northampton) and they are absolutely mad on it. No idea what type, no idea what the differences are, something to do with scrums/number of tackles/number of players?

I always thought it was played by men who liked playing with odd-shaped balls. Not that I'd say that to any of them...!

stereotypes...
as a young girl, I always thought rugby players were big, tough,hard men and had a reputation for this and based on experience it was true.
However, when I see rugby on the tv, I see that that some of these men are solicitors, etc ( well you know, having been 'educated')
I worry sometimes about the hard physical contact yet I never hear about hooligan fighting like with football.
I am impressed with the way the teams shake hands afterwards ( I know this may be through clenced teeth but they do it.)
I like looking at the mens thighs... thighs... thighs.. sorry, I like watching rugby on the telly ( oh we ladies no, not laydees.. tho sorry blokes maybe you do it too, but we ladies and maybe some l'aydees' like appreciating the toned male form!!)
but the cauli ears...

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
I always thought it was played by men who liked playing with odd-shaped balls. Not that I'd say that to any of them...!

I always thought that but hubby is perfectly formed ;) :oops: :LOL:

My garage is always full of stinky rugby kit with my youngest son though - yukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk - I think he's got an oddly shaped brain!

toffee said:
I am impressed with the way the teams shake hands afterwards ( I know this may be through clenced teeth but they do it.)

Yeah, today I watched Wales vs. Scotland and was impressed to hear a Scottish player genuinely say "Sorry, sir" to the referee.

laughed today, after match, had under tens shouting undo my laces, and cant get my top off, and wheres mt socks ect like young kids do....
then I had to find all their blooming towels for them then sit with my hands over my eyes until they had their undies on!!!!!!
kids are sooooo funny..
I will lock it in my treasured memories box.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I rmemeber all of that well, toffee :D It was always me and another Mum who ended up going in to sort out the little boys clothes for them and help them put their kit in their bags etc, bless the little angels :D

You know it's true about there not being violence after a rugby match too. Many a time I've taken my kids into Cardiff when there's been a big rugby match on but there's no way I'd even entertain the idea if it was a football match :cry: Sad really.

The way I heard it was that football was a gentlemans game played by thugs and rugby was a thugs game played by gentlemen.

Please feel free to comment should you think me wrong.

BE HAPPY

my two cents worth (maybe).....don't have a clue about sports......but they certainly do seem to pay off rather well. :confused:

Toffee

Encourage your kids to play - they will thank you for it. Rugby (both codes) are good. Union just requires more skill!

I really struggle..
not making excuse but I dont understand rugby at all.
I used to go when courting ( how dated is that expression???) with my hubby but still didnt understand the rules!!!
I am making real effort to understand how it works now though.
\as my hubby isnt here all the time I have to go to matches much of the time but I found that this is the case with a lot of the other kids too.
There is a big "mam' presence, and i am getting used to it.
Just hard isnt it... if your kids are feeling shy then I dont think it helps them to allow them to avoid every situation that gives then a little anxiety or they will never be able to cope with stress.
Rugby does seem to provide a safe outlet for aggression and it does seem to help my boyd develop team spirit.
I love my boys to bits but and I know its reciprocated but I still feel that boys will be boys to a degree and sometimes I feel left out!
Not trailing my lip on the floor here...
But, having no girls, I only have my boys to concentrate on and sometimes I feel alienated from the all male club.
A girl friend says this is good.. she says that boys will treat their mammy differently and this is a good thing.

As a son who has played all "guy" sports - rugby, soccer, cricket , hockey (debatable), tennis (debatable again), karate amd kick boxing - when it all goes t up there is only one person you turn to - m the word. And no not a mammas boy! Honest! After all who is gonna wash our kit? :LOL:

LMAO 69er. That is so true LOL My eldest is almost 20 and now we have a young lady on the scene :D I am in my element to have another female around the house occasionally :LOL:

Toffee, I empathise with you. We have only boys in this house too - even the dogs are boys :rolleyes: . What I wouldn't give to acquire a daughter for a day LOL I know what you mean about the 'all male club'. Especially when hubby's mates come round to watch the rugby on tv too - I end up having a whole houseful of men and nowhere to get away from them :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back