playing rugby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sunday morning... mad scramble sorting out 3 lots of socks, shorts and boots! kids usually keen as mustard to play but not this morning. The oldest ( still only 8 but plays in under 10 team) now plays tackle rugby as opposed to just tag rugby like the little ones. This morning he has a match and just doesnt want to play (feeling bit scared at thought of being tackled by bigger lads) Poor thing is very fast with the ball and the coach congratulated him about this last practice.Poor kid told us later that it was because they were training with bigger lads and he didnt want caught!
Most of the time he loves it and it has brought him out of his shell.
Dad was a rugby player and still would be but injuries dont heal like they used to!!
Soooo, this morning is hard. Told him he would be letting team down if he doesnt go (only small team) but now I feel bad for saying that.
I know he will enjoy it once he gets there but ohhh.. rugby is rough and I dont want to force him to play if he is scared.
I might terrify him for life.
Typical, dad isnt here today to do a ' I used to feel like that sometimes son, it will be ok, you will be good etc'. I could do a similar one but it would be about netball... not quite the same physical risk involved! ( though that said, there have been some risky moments with hockey sticks!)
I guess not all men are born with an inbuilt desire to play!!
I like rugby and I do think its good for the kids to play but there have been some accidents at matches even with the young boys ( and girls)
and I have mixed feelings about making him go.
Dad wishes that there were mixed teams when he played.. yeah yeah weve had all the stuff about tackles and the old all in together bath afterwards. Quite funny hearing him and pals laughing about it because I should think if they got the opportunity now, it might kill a few of them off!!

Sponsored Links
Following phone call from dad (funny how at a young age, kids think their dads can sort anything..) we are all ready for kick off. (kick off.. is that rugby speak too or just football)
Great, when its dads turn to go it seems to be cold but fine then suddenly on mams turn to go, its pouring down.
hmmm, an exciting couple of hours for me.
I love watching them but I need to learn the rules a bit better.
If you cant beat em, join em.

My youngest just set off for football looking a bit dejected cos it's raining and cold. Luckily for me it's a home match so he can walk down on his own and one of us will go down to watch him play a bit later, otherwise I would have had to be up and out of the house at 10 am to drive him to some wind-swept muddy field in the middle of nowhere and in the rain with a bit of a hangover.

My nephew plays for a junior rugby team in Wigan ,+his school team he is 11 .....the Pe guy at his school says if he keeps it up the 2 nights a week training +match on Sun morning ... he will get trials/training for the town team ..NO PROBLEM ........ ;)

the only problem is his father who is a taffy , who wants him to play for Wales ...Uuurgh Spit .lol..lol.. Engerland ..lol

Sponsored Links
League.. the best ........union ....upper class oiks /to*sers ...

lol @ moz

I know a bit of the cumbria rfu, didn't think the kids side of it was up to much now though, not enough interest. Do they still play union at school?

I didnt know there was a difference (shut up.. if you have never been told then you dont know do you! )
But... what I used to watch as a child when cousins etc used to play, this was league but I saw rugby advertised at squash club and took kids along, apparently its league.
My goodness, this was discussed at work once and union was the public school game and league for everyone else!
thats rubbish

Spark123
so you will agree leagues the mans game an not the "mediocre mafia/uni union" lot

Toffee, stupid game if you ask me but maybe your lad will get to sort Charlotte Church out, she obviously likes a bit of cauliflower ear.

toffee
aha .. LOL
you get banned here for posts less than that ...

if I said that I "got too" apologise ...! ...

but there again its me an I have tough drunkskin ... ;)

I couldnt care less , lol *GGG*

you'd think Id been on moz's stella.. though I think you will have them camouflaged and under armed guard hee hee.
I meant that the rugby the boys do now is union ( not league) but the rugby my family used to play was league.
My take on it was that its sport and good for them and will bolster their confidence.
Gee whizz no, it matters, like size....
league or union.... my goodness, but hey Im learning.
tackling... do it cheek to chek... bum cheek to face cheek for best results!!!

Sponsored Links
Back