Please can anyone help? Weird tripping problem !!!!

crafty1289 said:
Brightness said:
"]I have just removed the moulded plug and am about to fit a regular plug
why?????? The moulded plug will be better wired than any regular plug you can fit.

i wouldnt be too sure about that

recently had some machines installed. (i wasnt installing them, i was just there). the machines needed 5 kettle type leads in total (5 seperate parts). they called me over because the machine didnt work and they had changed leads but still nothin, so though the problem was inside. had a quick look - no problem. tested for voltage at input - nothin. teted voltage on lead. nothin. checked fuse, OK. tested continuity from plug to socket. BOTH had faults. and both were breaks on the live. cut off the plug and tested between plug fuseholder and cut cable. nothin. and these were brand new!

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: Says it all :rolleyes: . Actually, the weirdest thing out of all of this is that we've been having problems with the electrics tripping ever since we bought a new Bosch washing machine in December....

Methinks it might be connected in someway....

The replacement plug on the microwave didn't work anyway :cry: Think I'm going to get my dear little Sparky around tomorrow and ask him to double check all the new sockets etc and stuff he did for me a couple of months ago....

could just be coincidental, the microwave is most likely the cause of the problem.

See how the WM goes now without the microwave connected?

That's the weird thing. The washing machine is fine - it's just everything else that is tripping :rolleyes:

I am wondering...... maybe my new washing machine is :eek: possessed :eek: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd add, brighty girl, that when wiring plugs leave the earth as long as possible, and the live & neutral as short as possible. The reason being, is perchange the cable is yanked out of the cord grip, the last to disconnect is the protective earth.
As I know lots of diyers browse these posts it does no harm to press the point.

Qedelec said:
Just thought I'd add, brighty girl, that when wiring plugs leave the earth as long as possible, and the live & neutral as short as possible. The reason being, is perchange the cable is yanked out of the cord grip, the last to disconnect is the protective earth.
As I know lots of diyers browse these posts it does no harm to press the point.

Cheers Quedelec - I did this :LOL: . My Dad was a mechanic who believed in teaching me, as well as my brother, about all things 'male' :D .

It's got to the point that my hubby dreads going away with work as he knows I will get on with all the DIY jobs I have been asking him nicely to do for ages, then his mates will take the p*** out of him hahaha

When my son's PS2 broke, he didn't ask his Dad to fix it, he turned to good old Mum :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

LMAO I think he does really :LOL: - saves him having to do it anyway :LOL:

Anyway, this microwave lark is getting weirder.....

Hubby has just come home from work and plugged it into the socket by the oven (obviously different circuit) and yahoo, the flaming thing is working!

We've obviously got a problem in the circuit somewhere and my darling sparky isn't returning my calls, bless his cotton socks.... heeheehee - he probably thinks 'Oh no, what's she done this time...'

Now to go and unplug everything and see what else it could be - the new dishwasher maybe?????

Think hubby breathed a sigh of relief when the microwave came to life - he knows I am a very expensive person to take shopping as I don't like cheap stuff hahahaha

Brightness said:
LMAO I think he does really :LOL: - saves him having to do it anyway :LOL:

Anyway, this microwave lark is getting weirder.....

Hubby has just come home from work and plugged it into the socket by the oven (obviously different circuit) and yahoo, the flaming thing is working!

We've obviously got a problem in the circuit somewhere and my darling sparky isn't returning my calls, bless his cotton socks.... heeheehee - he probably thinks 'Oh no, what's she done this time...'

Now to go and unplug everything and see what else it could be - the new dishwasher maybe?????

Think hubby breathed a sigh of relief when the microwave came to life - he knows I am a very expensive person to take shopping as I don't like cheap stuff hahahaha

Can you post a picture of the consumer unit for us - i'm wondering if your cooker isn't actually on the RCD - not a bad thing, but it means your microwave will still work on that socket. This is one possible explanation anyway.

OK here we go - now this isn't brilliant as the fusebox is right at the top of the downstairs loo wall and I had to stand on the loo and hold the camera up.....

fusebox.jpg

It's the switch on the far left by the button that keeps tripping.

The sockets breaker is a B40 (unless my eyes deceive me) :eek: looks new as well, if your sparky fitted this, then I hope his horse didn't eat your flowers :LOL: (unless it feeds another fusebox and that has more breakers in?)

the labeling doesn't indicate which circuits are RCD protected, and the layout of the board seems to suggest lights are and sockets arn't*, unless someone has changed the split on a split board to make everthing rcd protected (when it trips, does everything stop working, or just some things?)in which case it'd need to be rated at a bit more than 40A

any chance of a pic with the cover off? (be careful!)

I would suggest that the 40A MCB has been fitted next to the main isolator as it has the highest current draw and all the other MCB's shifted one place left. This then makes sense of the labels 5A lights 5A lights 15A unlabelled 32A cooker and 32A sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back