Please can anyone help? Weird tripping problem !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got loads of sockets in my house and suddenly my fuse box has started tripping. I seem to have found the culprit. My 2 year old microwave :~(

Now this is where it gets weird. I have moved the microwave to another socket in case it was the socket at fault but as soon as I plugged it in - not switched on at socket - the trip went again! I have just removed the moulded plug and am about to fit a regular plug but does anyone have any ideas as to why it might be doing this please?

I am not one for messing with electrics and all sockets have been wired by a good local electrician. I just can't get hold of him today and don't want to blow the house up before the hubby gets home!!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
If it is tripping the RCD, and your sockets are single pole, then if there is an earth fault on the appliance, it can trip the moment you plug in.

Get the appliance PAT tested.

Does any other appliance trip?

Brightness said:
I have got loads of sockets in my house
normal
Brightness said:
I have just removed the moulded plug and am about to fit a regular plug
why?????? The moulded plug will be better wired than any regular plug you can fit.
Brightness said:
but does anyone have any ideas as to why it might be doing this please?
no, but its almost certainly nothing to do with a moulded plug. I have a solution: dont use the microwave until your spark or someone with appropriate knowledge has checked it out. Try plugging it into another circuit.
EDIT: sorry missed the bit about not switched on - its probably an RCD that its tripping (these have a test button to distinguish them from MCBs) so, as secure said, get the appliance PAT tested.

Thanks both. Changed the plug and it still tripped without being switched on. Will get someone to look at the microwave for me, stupid darned thing - the guarantee ran out 6 weeks ago :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a super duper m/wave, its probably cheaper to buy a new one.

securespark said:
Is it the RCD tripping??

Ermmmmmmmmmmmm don't want to sound thick here but I know I'm going to :oops:

It's the end trip switch on the fuse box, next to the button that you press to test the trip!

Sorry, I am a mere woman!!!!

Diyisfun said:
Unless you have a super duper m/wave, its probably cheaper to buy a new one.

Wouldn't say it was a super duper one but it was expensive and it's only 2 years old. It's a combi with a grill and fan oven, not your average cheapo £30 microwave :rolleyes:

Brightness said:
It's the end trip switch on the fuse box, next to the button that you press to test the trip!
that'd be your RCD then. I guess all the other electrics in the house go off too when they switch goes off? You have a neutral-earth fault in that microwave. Do the shop that sold it to you have a repair centre? This may be the best place to take it to.
Brightness said:
Sorry, I am a mere woman!!!!
dont worry, we weren't expecting miracles! :LOL: JOKE! ;) ;)

Thank you. I bought it from Curry's but won't take it there ;) as we all know what their repair shops are like!

I'll pop it into the local workshop next week.

Don't worry was taken as a joke ;) :rolleyes: I have a hubby and 2 sons - even the flipping dogs are boys - I'm so used to men taking the P*** out of my female abilities......

At least I tried to fix it myself :LOL:

Might be worth talking to the manufacturer/Currys first, six weeks out of guarantee wouldn't class to me as being suitable for the purpose it were intended.

Chances are you'd get nowhere, however, you never know unless you try.

Out of interest, what make is the microwave?

macmini said:
Might be worth talking to the manufacturer/Currys first, six weeks out of guarantee wouldn't class to me as being suitable for the purpose it were intended.

Very good point - try writing to the manufacturers, today, without waiting for Currys to give you the run around - put it to them, as mac says, that ir is only 13 months old.

JohnD said:
macmini said:

Very good point - try writing to the manufacturers, today, without waiting for Currys to give you the run around - put it to them, as mac says, that ir is only 13 months old.

Maybe not today, it's a bit late ;)

However tomorrow might be good!

As the poster says though, it's two years old, so must have had a two year manufacturers warranty?

I work in retail and don't know which manufacturers have a two year warranty, i know LG/Samsung do on their washing machines, unsure if it applies to all whites though.

Brightness said:
I have a hubby and 2 sons - even the flipping dogs are boys

We have three boys and a male cat, so my wife feels left out sometimes too! Maybe she could ring you for a sanity boost sometime!!

Mind you it's not as bad as the Waltons (Liverpool family who had 6 girls in the early 80's). He makes a bit of a living going round giving talks about what it was (and is) like being part of a large family.

He says I feel very alone sometimes: a wife and six daughters.....even the dog's a b*tch!

LMAO I must admit I don't really know what it's like to live in a female household - I spent most of my time with my Dad or my older brother when i was at home so 'out of the frying pan into the fire' as they say :LOL:

The microwave is a Belling and I had a years extra warranty on it as a free manufacturers offer - typical it should go just out of warranty! :rolleyes:

They just don't seem to make electrical stuff to last - my 1st microwave was a Belling Triplette (the first combi microwave made) and it lasted me 15 years. My last one was a Panasonic that lasted dodgily for 2 years and now this one has lasted 2 years as well - i thought, having paid a bit more & being a Belling that it would last a bit longer as well!!!!

Might dig out the Belling stuff and ring them tomorrow, see what they say.... will report back but won't hold my breath on good news!

yeah, i would think you'd have some joy, especially seeing as the added year were through Belling themselves, if there's no joy on the phone, send a letter to their head office, this can often achieve better results, as the people who work on the phones, basically have to adhere to a strict regime, whereby if you send a letter, it can be passed onto higher people :D

Just my (second) two pence worth :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back