Please can someone help with re pressurising boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have read through a lot of posts here before posting but am getting desperate as the kids are freezing. I have an ideal classic sealed system module ff boiler. I bled the rads today and all of a sudden heat stopped and boiler lit but went off. Checked online and found out to check pressure- so I did is at zero.

Found online about the filling loop- searched house up and down under sink eventually found filling loop on top of boiler. The thing is there is no valve on the filling loop. Is attached to an oval shaped red plastic container with a connection on it like a bicycle pump valve and then to a pipe beside it but there is no valve- have fiddled with everything seriously and cannot find a valve or figure how I would put water back into the system am at it since 1pm and have been reading it is a quick job and feeling very stupid- please can someone help- I dont have the money to fix it yet and am worried about the kids being cold- thanks a million
Debbie

Sponsored Links
The part you have described is the expansion vessel, you cannot fill the boiler using this, it serves a totally different purpose. Filling loop is usually underneath the boiler where the pipes emerge. Commonly a silver braided hose with a tap on each end.

Sponsored Links
There are no pipes underneath the boiler thats why I thought I had found it and that it was on top! Oh man, I think Ill give up have looked everywhere

Could it be upstairs in the hotpress or attic? Ive looked in hotpress and found nothing like the tube maybe I need to go up to attic?

were the expansion vessel connection is. is there a pressure gauge. were is your pressure gauge. some filling loops have a screw driver slot instead of a handle. might be worth looking in the kitchen cupboards if your boilers in the kitchen. etc pics w.ould help

Might be in the hot cylinder cupboard. Do you own or rent? Landlord would know. Do your neighbours have the same type of boiler / system worth asking where theirs is.

were the expansion vessel connection is. is there a pressure gauge. were is your pressure gauge. some filling loops have a screw driver slot instead of a handle. might be worth looking in the kitchen cupboards if your boilers in the kitchen. etc pics w.ould help

yes there is a pressure gauge close to the expansion vessel- neighbour came and said I should pump some air into the bicycle like value on the red thing with a pump? I didn't. Have looked under the sink and found a red and a blue valve thing turned them nothing- my expansion vessel, pressure gague etc are on top of the boiler- have checked in hot press nada- cant get into the attic as am too short- shall have to pay someone I think. Thanks anyway guys

Those are just pics of the expansion vessel debs....no filling loop is visible there, I'm afraid.
As others have said, it could be anywhere in the house where mains cold water can be injected into the central heating pipes - but below the boiler or close by is the common place.
John :)

Better edit this.....the blue and red taps are likely to be washing machine connections, and its only wise to pump up the expansion vessel when the system has no pressure in at all.
J.

Thanks John and everyone- I will never make a plumber, my friends Daddy will come and look at it for me on Tuesday- really appreciate all the help thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back