Please can someone recommend a good portable circular saw for cutting through 2x4 timbers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, thank you for reading this :)

I'm after a recommendation for a good portable circular saw, please? I need to cut through a lot of 2x4s. Ideally, I'm after one that doesn't send a lot of vibrations through (if that's even a thing - I've never used one before) and one that doesn't require a lot of brute force to use (again - could be saying dumb stuff here - please excuse me, if I am!)

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I've just googled - that's a heavy duty looking piece of kit!! Is that the best saw for cutting 2x4 studs and noggins, (which is what I'm after it for)? If so, is there a particular one of these saws you'd recommend, please?

maybe if its ONLY for 2"x4" something like a chopsaw -

But if you get the sliding version , you will gain a lot more versatility , and cut larger widths

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I've just googled - that's a heavy duty looking piece of kit!! Is that the best saw for cutting 2x4 studs and noggins, (which is what I'm after it for)? If so, is there a particular one of these saws you'd recommend, please?
I don't know what you're up to but if you expect to any kind of DIY beyond building some stud walls then a mitre saw can be invaluable, I bought one a while back, a sliding one and have used it loads for all sorts of stuff, a sliding one does take up more room so that's a thought but if you have the room then a sliding one is much more versatile. Consider the bore and blade size before any purchase as that can vary and restrict what replacement blades are available to buy in the future.

You are better off defining exactly what you are going to do with it, and consider future plans too.

Cuting 4x2 is a bit vague. If the 4x2 are rafters, then a compound mitre saw may be better, but not so good for getting up the scaffold.

If you are to move up to cutting boards, then a circular would be better.

Cordless? Corded?

Left or right handed?

Plan to do deep mitre cuts?

As a novice, which you seem to be, if you have a lot of 2*4 to cut, and they need to be accurate, I would agree that a chop saw might be the better option. It is likely to be the safest option and the easiest to use.

You just lay the timber on the saw bed and pull the handle down. With a circular saw, you need to secure the timber and cut through it.

The circular saw will be more versatile, enabling you to cut sheet materials and so on, but if you just want end cuts, why not go for a chop saw and sell it on afterwards- or even purchase a second hand one, and then sell it on?

Against that a portable circular saw (165, 184 or 190mm will cut 50mm thick material) with a speed square is actually a lot more versatile, and more than accurate enough for tasks such as roofing, battening, stud walling, and so on - not to mention considerably cheaper. So rather than making a snap recommendtion I have to agree with @^woody^ that maybe the OP should answer a few of his questions so that he can get a considered recommendation

After all, mitre saws are all very well, but further down the road the OP may want to do jobs like cutting sheet material, shelving, etc in both the length and the width (rip cuts), without the necessity to make another purchase, for which purpose a mitre saw is pretty well useless

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for the delay - had a family crisis but all sorted.

I'm right handed and can plug the saw in so corded or cordless is ok - I'm assuming corded will be significantly more powerful.

I was planning on keeping all my tools in the loft, if at all possible, so a more portable option would be ideal? Maybe that's not going to be possible with any of these saws, in which case I'll be building a shed!!

The original idea was to get something to quickly cut 2x4 timber in order to build 2 built in wardrobes, an entertainment wall, and 5 stud walls.

Honestly, it hadn't occurred to me to use it for this but I will need to cut skirting and architrave for a while house, so thank you so much for throwing that into the mix - you've quite possibly saved me buying more than one tool if I can get one that will do that too!!

Cutting shelves hadn't occurred to me either (I'm a bit blinkered, aren't I?!) But that would be really good to be able to do as well. And loft boards (not worth buying a tool for this job alone but if I've got the right tool anyway...)

So it's sounding like a 190mm circular saw with a speed square might be the best option for me?

Assuming I'm going to go for a 190mm circular saw with speed square - does anyone have a recommendation, please? Or has something I've clarified tipped the scales in a different direction?

Thank you so much for your time and input, Everyone - I really appreciate it!!!

A corded saw might be significantly cheaper.

This corded saw (which can be used with the Dewalt track system- enabling perfectly straight long cuts)

Is £50 cheaper than the (bare) cordless equivalent. You would then need to buy one, or two batteries and a charger, unless you have a other 18v Dewalt products, which would mean that you don't need to buy batteries or a charger.

BTW, I am not recommending that particular saw, I was simply showing the cost differences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back