please help.. conecting a new light fitting to a conector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

hi everyone some expert help required please.
conecting a new light to a conector block. trouble is its the old wire.
the wires hanging down are as follows

2 x grey sheefs each containing a black and a red wire
2 x grey sheefs containing a red wire only
1x grey sheef containing a single black wire.

none of the wires has a band on to denote live switch ect
one of the sheefs controls a light in another room must be looped in .

there are two switches in the room where i want to attach the new light fitting to this wireing . can you please help .

the wires on the light fitting are brown, blue and eatrh.

thanks for any help colin

Sponsored Links
Allow me to rewrite your post...

Hi everyone. Some expert help required, please.

I'm connecting a new light fitting to a connector block. The trouble is, I've cocked up.

I have not made a note of where any of the wires go. :oops:

The wires hanging down are as follows:

2 x grey sheaths each containing a black and a red wire.

2 x grey sheaths containing a red wire only.

1x grey sheath containing a single black wire.

None of the wires has a band on to denote live switch etc..

One of the sheaths controls a light in another room so must be looped in .

There are two switches in the room where I want to attach the new light fitting to this wiring.

Can you please help?

The wires on the light fitting are brown, blue and earth.

Thanks for any help.

Colin.

OK. First things first.

There don't appear to be any earth wires in the ceiling cables, yet your fitting requires an earth connection.

Can you confirm?

If there are no earth wires, you must not fit a Class I fitting or switches.

Second, when you say one of the sheaths controls a light in another room, do you mean that the switches in this room switch another fitting outside of it? Or do you mean that one of the cables is a loop out to provide power to an independently switched fitting in another room?

Third, you will need a multimeter to identify the switch wire. Also, opening up the switches (do not disconnect anything) may help in identifying cable type and colour as to what goes where.

The two single reds, and your description, suggest 2 way switching.

I would anticipate one of the single reds goes to L of the light.
I would then anticipate the remaining single red and all the other reds all go together in one separate connector block (in no way connected to the light).
I would then anticipate all the blacks go to the N of the light.

Of course, it all needs testing out properly to confirm all this is correct.
What are you like with a test meter?
With the power off, you need to check for continuity between the two single reds. By switching the light switches you will have continuity, then you won't, then you will etc etc. If you see what i mean. This will indicate one of those reds is switched, so any one of those reds will go to the L of the fitting. Only one though.

All this is partly guesswork though, as there is never a totally standard way to wire and alter lighting circuits. There's every chance it could be wired another way, so you need to find out the switch live wire before livening up.

That wiring, as it appears not to include any earth wires, is likely to be over 45 years old. There may be earth wires that have been cut off. If so, further investigation will be required.

You cannot fit a metal/class 1 fitting to that wiring. Fit a plastic fitting/class 2 fitting. A fitting with a symbol of a square inside a square is what you need.

A standard ceiling rose pendant or battenholder will also be ok.

As you didn't make a note of where the wires went it is possible you don't know what you're doing - so the best advice has to be get an electrician to do it for you.

Sponsored Links
thats what this web site was about i thought... ask someone who does know.
There isn't some magic book which lists all of the possible wiring combinations - it all depends on the person who installed it.
Without test equipment, it will be impossible to know where that mess of wires should be connected.

Your best option is to contact a local electrician to fit a plastic ceiling rose or some other item which does not require an earth connection.
You CANNOT install the new light fitting as it requires an earth connection which you do not have.

you got it in one. well done but thats what this web site was about i thought... ask someone who does know.
It is.

And it's also about people who can actually read - as in:

t2565752.jpg

wherein you would have found everything you needed to know about how lighting circuits work.

You cannot fit the light if it requires an earth connection. If a fault occurs or you create one then the whole new light could become live and you will only find out when it electricutes you. Get a class II light or get your lighting re-wired (which will lead to other problems such as lack of bonding or RCD protection)

Easiest option for you im affraid is to get a pendant set and choose a nice lamp shade for it.

You need to get a multi meter and start looking in the switches with the power turned off to accertain which way your switch cables have been connected in the past, guessing or assuming wont work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back