Please help. how to repaint old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
newbie question so please be patient.

I am decorating a 1920's house and one bedroom is a right pain.
It has walls showing a map effect of different layers of paint and even the odd bit of paper.
I sanded the wall, washed it several times then put a white emulsion over the bright pink original colour. The map was still there.
I scraped and chipped at the map then put some thick masonry paint (non- textured) on to even out the surface. The wall swelled like something from an alien film.
I scraped the blisters and removed as much "crud" as I could. Now I have a wall that looks as if its got pink and white woodchip wallpaper on it.
SHMBO is now advocating cladding the bedroom, I still fantasize on a nice painted wall
so how do i get out of this.

Ps SHMBO has my passport, so leaving the country so set up a yak farm is no longer an option

Sponsored Links
You really have a mess there dont you.

Your more or less doing the right thing but you really need to get as much of the lose stuff off as poss......then, give the wall a coat of oil based primer such as alkali resisting primer, then fill the whole surface to even out the irregularities.(use gyproc easifil....its cheap and doesnt the job well.

Sand it down, give it a coat of size (thinned wallpaper paste will do) or pva then line it with 12/1400 grade lining paper. use a ready mixed paste..Wickes do a good one and its quite cheap.

the wall is solid with no flakes( a whole days work) until i paint it then the paint seems to act as a stripper and cause the surface of the wall to go beserk.
I'll try your sugestion. The frustration is waiting for the gunk to dry before re-sanding the wall.

so this is what i took my hard earned leave to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back