please help with a newbie question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

sorry i don't have a clue about electricity, thats why i'm asking here...

the socket tester shows me LIVE NEUTRAL REVERSE... i've been using this socket for a long time for personal grounding while sleeping...

does that mean that the earthing is still working just fine, or does that mess up with proper grounding too?

just wanted to know this...

thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
it doesn't necessarily mean you have a good earth connection, but it definitely means you have a L-N reversal which will want rectifying.

This should have been posted in electrics outside the UK.

The best way to test would be with a proper tester

In the UK we would be worried because of our method of fusing down inside the plug. We are not permitted the German Schuko sockets.

However I note your not in the UK. With the German Schuko sockets you can put the plug in either way around so either live wire can be neutral or line according to which way up you plug in. So as far as I am aware there is no correct polarity with German Schuko sockets.

With the UK sockets our earth pins are quite large so there is good contact but we have two basic earthing methods. These are called TT and TN. Although with TN the earth is very good with the TT system it relies on an earth leakage trip switching off the power in the case of a fault.

Connecting your body to the earth could be dangerous if some other item goes faulty. There are earthing straps used mainly with Cmos semiconductors to ensure they are not damaged with static but the resistance of the leads is very high they use special carbon impregnated rubber so unless the system you are using is designed for that use there could be some danger.

In the UK the sockets are tested using an earth loop impedance tester and also the RCD is tested to ensure it will trip in 40 ms. But that would only be true with a house wired after 2008. Before that date RCD's were not so common. From what I am told on the continent they were using the RCD well before us as their system was not as safe as ours but as to what dates and what system is in place to ensure they are fitted I don't know.

Maybe you should ask this question on a local forum rather than a UK one!

Is it just one socket, or some or all sockets?

If the problem is more than one then you need someone to make sure that the supply or other wiring in your fusebox is done properly.

It is important that this part of the installation is 100% correct!

Sponsored Links
What is 'personal grounding'? Does that mean you attach an earth to your body while you sleep, if so for what reason? Do you all do that in your country lol

Personal grounding, could be an outlet for the old ASBO tags I've been watching on E-Bay?

Result

thanks so much guys for your answers...

No, its not that all sockets are connected in this way in my house...most of them, when tested, were wired correctly...

But the socket tester signals live - neutral reverse on this one...i've been using this socket for a long time for personal grounding...(btw: for health purposes.. i was dead already)

I've got this socket tester - http://www.luedeke-elektronic.de/pr...ester-Steckdosenpruefgeraet-230V-MS6860D.html

If i turn it upside down and plug it in, it shows CORRECT.

I still can't understand if I was grounded during that time or not...my logic would tell me that live-neutral reverse wouldn't affect the grounding aspect...

thanks for the help bros...

I still can't understand if I was grounded during that time or not...my logic would tell me that live-neutral reverse wouldn't affect the grounding aspect...

Looking at your type of socket it would appear that the earth pin is present at the top and bottom of the socket, so even if you put the plug in upside down it should still be earthed even if the polarity is wrong and your grounding device shouldn't be doing anything with live/neutral anyway.

If you can't tell whether or not you were grounded during that time, then maybe that should tell you something about personal grounding ;)

I have some snake oil I can sell you if you are interested :)

yes i see...live neutral has nothing to do with ground...

btw i believe in personal earthing...we are detached from the earth that has its own electromagnetic force and i feel we were not ment to be isolated from those natural vibes...look it up..earthing..look up how the picture of a human blood changes after 1 hour of being grounded... i try to walk barefoot and touch plants whenever i can to get that earth electricity and magnetism...its common sense..consider urself lucky to come across this info so randomly...if ur ready ull hear it..

about the snake oil...thanks but i'm vegan.. :)

thanks for the help ppl

yes i see...live neutral has nothing to do with ground...

btw i believe in personal earthing...we are detached from the earth that has its own electromagnetic force and i feel we were not ment to be isolated from those natural vibes...look it up..earthing..look up how the picture of a human blood changes after 1 hour of being grounded... i try to walk barefoot and touch plants whenever i can to get that earth electricity and magnetism...its common sense..consider urself lucky to come across this info so randomly...if ur ready ull hear it..

about the snake oil...thanks but i'm vegan.. :)

thanks for the help ppl

I'm sure you think it is common sense, but there is no actual scientific evidence to support it.

Getting back on topic the Schuko sockets you have are non polarised so it does not matter which way live and neutral are wired.

I imagine that tester you have will also fit French sockets which are polarised.

I have a monorail track lighting system.when I turn it on it takes a few seconds to light then flashes off and on all the time it is lit. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Back