Please Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just phoned a small bathroom fitter today about having a compleat new bathroom installed, I don't know if he was trying to frighten me but he kept going on about having all his electric certificates etc and said to me if I get my light changed in the bathroom by someone who doesn't hold the certificates then I won't be able sell my home without the paperwork showing my light has been done by a qualified electrician. I am really not sure about this guy and would really like to know if he was for real!

Sponsored Links
Thankyou RF really did think he was trying to frighten me and use him to do my work. Will certainly be using him then. Thanks agin :D

Hi, I have just phoned a small bathroom fitter today about having a compleat new bathroom installed, I don't know if he was trying to frighten me but he kept going on about having all his electric certificates etc and said to me if I get my light changed in the bathroom by someone who doesn't hold the certificates then I won't be able sell my home without the paperwork showing my light has been done by a qualified electrician. I am really not sure about this guy and would really like to know if he was for real!

If you are having the bathroom replaced you need a plumber not an electrician.

What changes (if any) are you having to the lighting?

Sponsored Links
This guy is doing everything from tiling to fitting a new bathroom suite etc basically a whole new bathroom. Yep I know I need a plumber but he was going on about the electrics and how he can do it and the only thing electric that i will need doing is fitting a new light and switch in the room. Just very surprised that he told me I won't be able to sell my home if I don't have the correct paperwork to show it has be wired up correctly. Bit concerned now as I have just installed myself 2 very expensive lights in another room :confused:

This guy is doing everything from tiling to fitting a new bathroom suite etc basically a whole new bathroom. Yep I know I need a plumber but he was going on about the electrics and how he can do it and the only thing electric that i will need doing is fitting a new light and switch in the room. Just very surprised that he told me I won't be able to sell my home if I don't have the correct paperwork to show it has be wired up correctly. Bit concerned now as I have just installed myself 2 very expensive lights in another room :confused:

There is some ambiguity in the legislation regarding non-notifiable work by DIYers and the issuing of certificates. Although the legislation states that DIYers can still make changes to their own homes it also states that they must install and test any new circuitry to the same standard as a qualified electrician, but as most DIYers won't possess expensive test equipment it is assumed that these tests aren't carried out, ergo making any paperwork generated for the new installation worthless.
If you have installed your two lighting units in any room other than a kitchen, a bathroom, a room containing a sauna or outside, then those installations are non-notifiable, but there should have been tests performed if you changed the cabling. Disconnecting the L & N wires of your old luminaires on a ceiling rose and connecting the new L & N wires isn't changing the cabling, and this doesn't require testing (apart from switching it on lol)

Not exactly -

There is some ambiguity in the legislation regarding non-notifiable work by DIYers and the issuing of certificates.
Notification and certification are separate and unconnected.
All work should be certified.

Although the legislation states that DIYers can still make changes to their own homes it also states that they must install and test any new circuitry to the same standard as a qualified electrician, but as most DIYers won't possess expensive test equipment it is assumed that these tests aren't carried out, ergo making any paperwork generated for the new installation worthless.
More likely is non-existent.

If you have installed your two lighting units in any room other than a kitchen, a bathroom, a room containing a sauna or outside, then those installations are non-notifiable, but there should have been tests performed if you changed the cabling. Disconnecting the L & N wires of your old luminaires on a ceiling rose and connecting the new L & N wires isn't changing the cabling, and this doesn't require testing (apart from switching it on lol)
It does require testing - for example, polarity could be reversed, cpc may not be connected to MET plus everything else.

That is great to hear, i installed the lights in a living room and just connected the original wiring up to the new lights. Thanks MySparky will be able to sleep tonight and not worry about selling my house if i ever need too :D

Not exactly -

There is some ambiguity in the legislation regarding non-notifiable work by DIYers and the issuing of certificates.
Notification and certification are separate and unconnected.
All work should be certified.

Although the legislation states that DIYers can still make changes to their own homes it also states that they must install and test any new circuitry to the same standard as a qualified electrician, but as most DIYers won't possess expensive test equipment it is assumed that these tests aren't carried out, ergo making any paperwork generated for the new installation worthless.
More likely is non-existent.

It does require testing - for example, polarity could be reversed, cpc may not be connected to MET plus everything else.

Not if all they are changing is one pendant for another, which was the case I stated. How would the cpc at the MET suddenly become disconnected if that part of the system hasn't been touched? And if polarity is reversed they'll soon find out about it when the lights won't switch off, or on. I agree that in an ideal world it would be tested but in the context of changes to the Regs 2011 there is ambiguity regarding DIYers not in possession of suitable test equipment, in which case someone who does have such equipment should be called in to test, but in the real world, not many people are going to get a sparky in to change a pendant.

Might be alot easier if i never sell my home :(

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If someone wants your house that badly they're not going to quibble over a light fitting, plus I'd be surprised if you didn't take down your expensive new lights and stick a £3 plastic pendant up there when you come to actually move out.

"Not if all they are changing is one pendant for another, which was the case I stated. How would the cpc at the MET suddenly become disconnected if that part of the system hasn't been touched? And if polarity is reversed they'll soon find out about it when the lights won't switch off, or on. I agree that in an ideal world it would be tested bu in the context of changes to the Regs 2011 there is ambiguity rtegarding DIYers not in possession of suitable test equipment, in which case someone who does have such equipment should be called in to test, but in the real world, not many people are going to get a sparky in to change a pendant"

"How would the cpc at the MET suddenly become disconnected"
It might not be connected in the first place - testing it would confirm any new class 2 would be safe, similarly polarity say on ES lampholders. Ideally these tests should be done for safety even though the job might be non-notifiable.

"in the context of changes to the Regs 2011 there is ambiguity rtegarding DIYers not in possession of suitable test equipment,"

Which Regs or part thereof are you referring to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy you rang might have been a bit OTT.
There again he might have been on the level.

He might just be one who has been doing it right for years rather than just twisting wires together to make it work.
He might therefore just be a bit peed off having paid to be assessed and have all the relevant gear & procedures in place (which can have considerable cost) in order to comply with the law and find he is undercut by others not bothering . Then to top it all seeing some shoddy work done by such (Having said that nobody will guarantee all registered installers will never do shoddy work either).

Whether this guy is on the level, overstating it or trying it on, is difficult to say as there is some truth to what he is telling you

"Not if all they are changing is one pendant for another, which was the case I stated. How would the cpc at the MET suddenly become disconnected if that part of the system hasn't been touched? And if polarity is reversed they'll soon find out about it when the lights won't switch off, or on. I agree that in an ideal world it would be tested bu in the context of changes to the Regs 2011 there is ambiguity rtegarding DIYers not in possession of suitable test equipment, in which case someone who does have such equipment should be called in to test, but in the real world, not many people are going to get a sparky in to change a pendant"

"How would the cpc at the MET suddenly become disconnected"
It might not be connected in the first place - testing it would confirm any new class 2 would be safe, similarly polarity say on ES lampholders. Ideally these tests should be done for safety even though the job might be non-notifiable.

"in the context of changes to the Regs 2011 there is ambiguity rtegarding DIYers not in possession of suitable test equipment,"

Which Regs or part thereof are you referring to?

Nevermind. I'll change pendants, you remain a pedant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back