Please tell me what this switch is for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm doing up my kitchen. I found this switch on top of the old wall units. I can't suss what it's for or does. It 'looks' like it's for some lights they may have had planned but never finished?

I might move it and use it for some form of lighting. But I'll probably just blank it off. So another question please: How do I terminate it?
Any advise will be appreciated

Mick

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Clearly this is one answer:

Another answer is that as wired, that switch will do nothing, as both wires are in the same terminal, and are therefore permanently connected together.
If you move one of the red wires to the bottom terminal (so one in each) you may find it now does something.
Leave the black wires as they are, and turn off the power before changing anything.

If you want to remove it completely, the wires will also have to be removed, which will involve finding where they go.

Many thanks for the reply. I will do that test tomorrow.

The switch must have been there for umpteen years!

I was hoping that if I do decide not to use it I could finish the 2 red cables like the 2 black ones and put a blanking plate on the front. Will that be OK?

Mick

Sponsored Links
No I haven't!

I have one of those electrician type screw-drivers. I take it I just shove it in and it lights up?

No I haven't!

I have one of those electrician type screw-drivers. I take it I just shove it in and it lights up?

Oh god no....theyre unreliable and just shoving anything in and hoping it lights up, tends to dissapoint, or so the wife says. :)

Have you got a mate with a volt/multi meter

I`d guess that there was an intention to put in Under Wall Unit Lights and the Sparky dropped the Ceiling Lights Feed down from the Ceiling void area and back up , Giving you a Permanent Live , a Neutral & Earth to be tapped into , so you could run Cables behing the Wall Units down to a Switch under the Wall Units then onto the Lights themselves.

Lucky

A policeman from Clapham Junction
Had a **** that just wouldn't function.
And all through his life
He fooled his wife
With some spit on the end of his truncheon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back