Plinth drawers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of those "the Mrs saw it on the internet, so can I make it happen?" posts.
I am not sure what country this is but they seem to have made a full-width plinth drawer:

1705576324343.png

Do we think the cabinets are hung off the wall? The worktop looks a bit shallow.

Sponsored Links
UK kitchens have legs under all the units so hard to see it a full width drawer working here, only way that could work would be for all of the cabinets to be made to hang off the wall. Alternatively you could fit a structural member under the front edge of the units spanning the gap but it would have to be pretty hefty and would eat into the height of the drawer. Or you can get individual under plinth drawer kits in the UK. But seems like a ton of work for not much gain.

Looks like a holiday home galley kitchen, no visible struts to side so draw may be on wheels.
You could make individual draws but can’t see them being useful.

I use behind the kick panel as overflow booze storage as it's usually pretty cold under there. I'd rather have the space usable than not, but it's more effort than I can be bothered with.
You could conceivably have multiple drawers between the cabinet supports, with the kick panel fixed across the front of all of them.

Sponsored Links
It will be IKEA stuff, hung off a rail at the back, not ideal for a worksurface with the heavy worktop, but doable. The base units are usually 80cm top to bottom, so a smaller leg than uk usual cabinets.

Not really relevant, but....

Last year I got another double bed, to replace an older one which had drawers - but the new one had no drawers, and was several inches lower. I repurposed the old drawers, by adding castors, and because the new bed was heavy/awkward to lift to clear the drawers, at the bed sides, I made a simple jack from a spare, repurposed sealant/caulking gun mechanism.

i have done a few plinth drawer
problems are 5-6" max minus drawer base
12mm ply or other thickness requited to lift drawer bottom off the kitchen floor and to slide on
nothing heavy in the drawer because you need to support the drawer as it comes forward to not scratch the floor
you overfill the drawer it can get "locked in" and you cannot gain access to free it easily
whilst the space may look tempting is the extra perhaps 5-8% storage space worth your knees your floor and your back
loose plinth and plastic storage boxes keep all the crud off what is underneath and allows non scratch occasional access

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back