Plinth lights question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Quick question on plinth lights. In my house right now, we have under cabinet lights and plinth lights that work off the same switch, which is what the mrs likes.

We're moving to a new build soon and although they show plinth lights in the attached picture, they're not actually an option, only the under cabinet lights are, as shown.

However, my wife wants plinth lights. Is it possible to take power from the under cabinet lights, drop a wire back through the plasterboard wall and feed this through the bottom at floor level to provide a power source for the plinth lights, which will work from the same switch as the cabinet lights? Or am I totally being unrealistic here?

Thanks for any help, very much appreciated.

Attachments

• plinth.png
    plinth.png
    664.8 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
It could be, it does depend on how the lights are powered up. If the cabinets lights are 230v AC then yes, If they are driver driven then not it won't be as clear cut depending on drivers.

It could be, it does depend on how the lights are powered up. If the cabinets lights are 230v AC then yes, If they are driver driven then not it won't be as clear cut depending on drivers.
Hey chivers,

Thanks for the response. Please forgive my total ignorance, but what is driver driven? And if they are, I'm guessing it's not an option?

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to take power from the under cabinet lights, drop a wire back through the plasterboard wall and feed this through the bottom at floor level to provide a power source for the plinth lights, which will work from the same switch as the cabinet lights?
Almost certainly yes, it could vary from trivially easy if there's a mains switch that can be tapped into easily to go to a suitable supply box to power the lights under the plinth. Or it could be very hard if it's some digital smart home system running on 24v throughout, and there's no spare capacity.
My feeling is it wouldn't be a big problem, but photo of the swtich (and behind with the power off) and any associated equipment and the LEDs themselves that are already there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back