Plug in LEDs controlled by light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About a year ago an electrician fitted a plug socket (no switch on it) behind a utility room kitchen base unit so we can plug some plinth lights in (LED strip lights) so we can now control them via a wall switch. I believe the plug socket was connected to the lighting circuit.

Works well so was wondering before inviting electricians back to quote for more work, whether or not the same thing can be done, however this time a single wall switch in another room (kitchen) can control two or maybe three different sockets hidden behind kitchen base units. The sockets would be on different walls. Again these would control plinth lights.

I appreciate there's a lot of chasing in and possible mess, but not an issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Using a plug and socket is OK as long as the socket is not same type as used for power, so a 2A or 3A socket or even one of the special lighting ceiling roses which can be plugged in and out, but not a 13A socket as you could in error plug in some other items and so cause the lights to fail.

The regulations are a little vague on this, it simple says the supply should be split into circuits to avoid lost of things like the lights, and a maximum supply of 16A on a lighting circuit, so in real terms an electrician can decide in the case in question a 13A socket is OK, we see this with TV amplifiers in the loft, and shaver sockets in bathroom, so it is not cut and dried, the electrician has to decide how to interpret the regulations.

The other method is to use a socket supply fused down to rating of switch if under 13A and have a simple switched socket, there are remote controls available for sockets, I use a pair for my bedside lights, so I can switch off/on with in my case a remote control.

As to using a EU socket that is again open for interpretation, the French sockets are polarised and you can likely buy wallmarts that have French plugs on them, German are not polarised so can't be used in UK. Where the voltage dropper is not built into the plug it is easy, use 5A or 2A plugs and sockets.

So sorry you need to ask the guy doing the job, it is really up to him as to if he thinks it is safe or not.

Using a plug and socket is OK as long as the socket is not same type as used for power, so a 2A or 3A socket or even one of the special lighting ceiling roses which can be plugged in and out, but not a 13A socket as you could in error plug in some other items and so cause the lights to fail.
Has anybody ever seen Eric and Winston in the same room at the same time?

The regulations are a little vague on this
No they aren't:

upload_2019-2-22_13-49-11.png

upload_2019-2-22_13-58-32.gif
upload_2019-2-22_13-58-33.gif

Works well so was wondering before inviting electricians back to quote for more work, whether or not the same thing can be done
Yes - it'll be fine.

Take absolutely no notice of anybody who pops up to vent their obsession about it being a bad practice that ought to be, and one day will be, forbidden.

The other method is to use a socket supply fused down to rating of switch if under 13A and have a simple switched socket, there are remote controls available for sockets, I use a pair for my bedside lights, so I can switch off/on with in my case a remote control.
Is the same as (v) a suitable socket-outlet complying with etc.

What it does not say is a socket to BS 1363-2 can be fitted to a 6 amp lighting circuit. To be fair the tread does not say that is what they want to do, it does not say what type of plug is fitted to the lights.

behind a utility room kitchen base unit
is not really a problem, it is unlikely anyone would try to plug in any other device, same as socket in loft for TV amp, and socket in bathroom limited to 300 mA. If however it was where it is likely some one may unplug the lights and plug in the vacuum cleaner instead that is very different.

I am aware of the problem of telling some one you can do this or that, without knowing all the facts, and then that person tries to tell some one on site who has got all the facts what he can or can't do. The option is up to the electrician doing the work, not us in a forum.

Sponsored Links
Is a wonderful aspiration but not practical.....

it does not say what type of plug is fitted to the lights.

Nor has the OP. My expectation is that the plinth lights will come with a nice wall-wart that plugs into a standard BS1363-2 socket, so all suugestions of any other means of connection will be pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back