Yes or no? Switch to socket or just a stupid question??

Sponsored Links
Like many, I've got a BS 1363 socket (a double at that) in my loft feeding a TV distribution amplifier, spare one for trailing lamps and the like.

Am I too a bad person?

Sponsored Links
Is that the one that says bog standard 3 pin sockets are okay for use on lighting circuits, albeit I think it is rubbish design on domestics especially in a kitchen?

559.6.1.1 Connection to the fixed wiring

At each fixed lighting point one of the following shall be used:
(i) A ceiling rose to BS 67
(ii) A luminaire supporting coupler to BS 6972 or BS 7001
(iii) A batten lampholder or a pendant set to BS EN 60598
(iv) A luminaire to BS 60598
(v) A suitable socket-outlet to BS 1363-2, BS 546 or BS EN 60309-2
(vi) A plug-in lighting distribution unit to BS 5733
(vii) A connection unit to BS 1363-4
(viii) Appropriate terminals enclosed in a box complying with the relevant part of BS EN 60670 series or BS 4662
(ix) A device for connecting a luminaire ( DCL ) outlet according to IEC 61995-1.

NOTE: In suspended ceilings one plug-in lighting distribution unit may be used for a number of luminaires.

I wonder which is the highest rated BS EN 60309 socket that has been used on a domestic lighting circuit?

Now thats bad practice, and then some.

Ceeforms up to 125A are common on theatre stages, for the LX to plug a mobile rig in. (OK - I only have a pair of 32A 3 phase ones but we are poor) :LOL:

Can you connect powerlocks to a lighting circuit? :LOL:

powerlock-Box.jpg

I wonder which is the highest rated BS EN 60309 socket that has been used on a domestic lighting circuit?

Now thats bad practice, and then some.
One thing that has always seemed to me to be missing from our range of plug and socket types is a type that is compact and designed for low current but is also IP rated.

I guess there are lewden plugs but despite being availible in lower current ratings those are pretty much as bulky as CEEFORMs and I also don't like the fact that the cover can easilly be left off them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back