Yes or no? Switch to socket or just a stupid question??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to control a switched single socket from a 2-gang switch??

I have LED kitchen plinth lights installed and have them currently plugged in to a single socket. Close to this I have a 2-gang switch with one switch controlling the kitchen and the other being not being used. If I have the socket constantly turned on can the switch be integrated into the wiring to turn on/off the socket?

Or is this just a stupid question???

Just want to know if it can be done or know my options before I think about an electrician.

Many thanks for any posts given!

Sponsored Links
You can certainly install a switch to control a remote socket, this is often how washing machines & dishwashers etc., are connected. The socket is behind the appliance and a separate switch is mounted above the worktop.

The switch will have to be suitably rated to supply a 13A socket, so you won't be able to use a normal lightswitch which is usually only rated at 5A.

Alternatively, if the lights are wired directly into the existing lighting circuit you could dispense with the socket.

You don't give much information about the two gang switch, is this connected to the lighting circuit, or the power circuit?

Use a grid switch with a normal light switch module, and a 20A DP switch - you can then use this to supply your socket.

You may need an FCU supplying the DP switch, it depends what type of circuit the socket is on...

Another alternative would be to use a BS546 2-amp or 5-amp socket for the lights (the old round-pin type - still available), then you could control it with a regular 5 or 6A rated light switch (connected from the lighting circuit).

Obviously that would work only if the LED lights have a power supply with a cord where you could replace the plug with a BS546 type, not a "wall wart" unit with a molded-in BS1363 13A plug.

Sponsored Links
I know we regularly read how people in the future might do this or might do that, but what is actually wrong with a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit behind a kitchen unit plinth?

I would consider it bad practice - come the day the kitchen is stripped down and the new oven plugged into it. ;)
If the supply is derived from a lighting circuit then use 5A round pin.

But would you really plug an oven into a floor level socket which had had lighting in it when you pulled the old kitchen units out?

Personally I wouldn't - I'd probably ask rough ass put the socket in.
But someone not as much in the know might. I have come across a socket on the lighting circuit supplying a washing machine where there was once a fridge, had a magic CPC too (one end of CPC in the T&E connected to nothing and the other nicely sleeved at the socket)

I know we regularly read how people in the future might do this or might do that, but what is actually wrong with a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit behind a kitchen unit plinth?

Leaping in to demonstrate lack of knowledge mode engaged....

Surely, if the socket is protected by a suitable fuse for the lighting appliances plugged into it it'll be protected from someone plugging an oven into it. If they find the FCU and upgrade the fuse there and plug an oven into it wont it still pop the lighting circuit protective device?

In fact, short of popping a bigger MCB/Wire into the CU how would plugging anything into the 'lighting' socket cause a problem?

When the lights keep blowing owing to having a 3kw load plugged in then they might just do that.
Lighting circuits are designed for lighting, not ideal for sockets which is why when we do need to have sockets on them we use a designated type i.e. the 5A round pin.

Remembering of course that the regs cover a whole manner of installations including industrial, theatre etc where there is a need to have larger circuits suitable for lighting, I still feel it is poor design to install a bog standard 13A plugtop in a domestic situation fed from a 6A breaker.

559.6.1.1(v)

This is a DIY forum.

It's not at all helpful to quote from BS7671 which few DIYers would posess. All the regulations needed for household installations are included in the On-site Guide, so BS7671 is unnecessary for a DIYer.

I did look in the OSG - it doesn't mention the fact that 559.6.1.1(v) says that BS1363 sockets are OK on lighting circuits.

Oh - and BS7671 is available from all good bookshops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back