Plug in solar

It would look absolutely cool (or uncool depending upon you viewpoint) in fact approad a firm such as "Ever Ready" (other firms are available & suggest it or better still build one and get it in the local press/TV then offer it to them to include in one of their adertising gimmiks and they might reward you - well oit does not hurt to ask them and you might gain a few quid.
 
Last edited:
Ok hi all.
I just thought I would check in.

Just for completeness I thought I would let everyone know what I’m doing .
So I’ve decided plug in solar is not worth it . Prices are to high for to little return.

So I’ve bought an Anker solex e5000 with 10KW worth of storage and 12 x 500 watt panel to go with it .

I’m in the process of trying to find someone qualified to wire it up to my garage consumer unit and I will once that’s done fit the panels myself on the garage. They are a beast of a panel though so if anyone wants to help I won’t say no .

Once done I’m gonna go with octopus and pay them so I can export in the summer and import overnight during the winter .


I may add an extra 5kw battery at some stage also but as the Anker can only export at 2.5 KW I will need to do my sums to see if it’s worth it.
 
Does MCS certification work like that?
Don’t need MCS . Just need building control and EIC from electrician then pay octopus 250 quid for the privilege of using their non MCS route . As I say you gotta pay 250 which adds to how long it takes to pay off the install but it will pay it off especially during the summer export and cheap import cost over winter.
 
This seems to be the problem with all solar and batteries. I started another thread about this, the FIT (closed to new applicants on March 31, 2019) you were guaranteed a payment, so you could say in X years it will have paid for its self. The Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) replaced it, and it seems the payment is anything but guaranteed.

It seems the organisations Flexi-Orb and the like are not required to get the second MPAN number, but it is difficult to get it all sorted with the Flexi-Orb never mind without it.

The Octopus offer does make it easier, but is simply should not be required, but for first 20 months with British Gas, even with the Flexi-Orb number, I got no payment for export, so 2024 I exported 2625.7 kWh and 2025 it was 3054.7 and to date 2026 it is 2969.3 kWh, so average is around the 2900 kWh per year. At 15p/kWh 20 months is around £725 that British Gas swindled me out of.

OK, plug in will not produce as much, I have 6 kW of panels with 5 kW inverter, and 6.4 kWh of storage. But all which is guaranteed, it what I use myself, so at around 25p/kWh and the production - export. Since fitted approx 3 years used in house 9523.2 kWh so £2380.80 solar used at 25p/kWh.

This is a fraction of what has really been saved, as charging batteries overnight at cheap rate, and using during the day, plus the export so add another £1000 for electricity exported, and £600 for the off-peak used during peak hours, so for 3 years around £4000 saved. But of that £4000 only £2300 is due to solar directly.

When I consider running washing machine, tumble drier, and dishwasher at night the sum saved increases, but also a loss converting much more realistic is more like £3500. But I can say over £1000 a year saved, but just the panels, £750 saved.
 
Don’t need MCS . Just need building control and EIC from electrician then pay octopus 250 quid for the privilege of using their non MCS route .

Well, I've learnt something new - thanks!

And they are not alone

Octopus is one of the few suppliers who’ll pay you for export without an MCS or Flexi-Orb certification.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top