Plug-in Telephone Ringer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening All!

I was wondering if, anybody could tell me where (or if you can still) get these.

I have seen plenty available online which are fairly bulky and have a lead on.

But what I was more thinking of is a plug-in (small rounded object), small in size with no lead, that simply plugs into a phone socket to alert you that the phone is ringing in another part of the house.

Something that would typically used by hard of hearing people.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not buy a duo/trio pack cordless phone set? That way, you won’t have to even go to the other part of the house to answer the phone.

the "hard of hearing" ones (also used in noisy environments, or places that need to be quiet) may have a bright strobe lamp to attract attention, usually high up so it will be easily seen and not blocked by furniture, and a phone nearby so you can answer it. The cordless phones are I think a better modern solution. You can also program them to ignore unwanted callers or send them to voicemail, or to have a "VIP" ring for certain callers. My cordless phones light up when rung, I don't know if you can get phones with a bright light or a vibe. They're Siemens Gigaset and network up to 6 phones on the base. The handsets from my old Gigaset work on the new kit.

If you just have a flasher in the room, by the time you get to another room with a phone in it, the caller may have hung up.

Sponsored Links
I once (in an earlier life) was asked to design something for use in a cotton weaving mill, for when the night shift was working, no one in the office to hear the phone ring and lots of noise from the machines running. Early days for electronics, but I devised a latching timer system using discrete components, powering relays, to flash a pair of spot lights one red one green with each ring, aimed at the working area, plus a klaxon and a switch to turn the system off when not needed. Once triggered, it kept running until cancelled by a loom operator.

I organised the (then) GPO Telephones to provide a pair of voltage free pair of contacts, as the means to trigger it.

I don’t know how this can be done but it was done 25 years ago. I had a customer who’s car I used to service and bot he and his wife were deaf. Whenever I went to his house and rung the door bell, the lights in the whole house would flash whether they were on or off.

Thinking about it, that would probably work but be of no use to alert a deaf person that their phone was ringing!

I don’t know how this can be done but it was done 25 years ago. I had a customer who’s car I used to service and bot he and his wife were deaf. Whenever I went to his house and rung the door bell, the lights in the whole house would flash whether they were on or off.

Thinking about it, that would probably work but be of no use to alert a deaf person that their phone was ringing!

A neighbour who is deaf and dumb, has system which flashes the house lights, if anyone presses their doorbell. As you say, no point in ringing, he uses text messages though.

years before I bough cordless, I wired the house with extension points including the garage.
My garage still has a £9.99 phone in it.

Personally I wouldn't bother but you could probably throw most of a cheap phone away and keep the electronics that control the sounder.

In a previous job we used flashers on the phone to avoid the noise of phones ringing. A mains powered strobe flashed triggered by the telephone line.
We also had a loud extension sounder that ran from the socket that would wake the dead

years before I bough cordless, I wired the house with extension points including the garage.
My garage still has a £9.99 phone in it.

Likewise here too, wired in the early 80's and including the garage :)

I now have a set of four wireless ones, with built-in caller screening because of the nuisance callers we used to get, multiple times per day. It just lets through the numbers it recognises now.

The problem with wireless phones is if there is a power cut, you have no phone - which happened to us once. I ended up borrowing an old plug in phone from a neighbour, then buying one as a standby. Kitchen has a hidden phone socket, lost behind the kitchen units, from when I refurbed the kitchen - so the phone is plugged into that socket and sits in the top drawer of a unit - drawers are close to the back door, should there be an emergency.

Our mobile signal is not good enough to rely completely on, should there be an emergency.

Personally I wouldn't bother but you could probably throw most of a cheap phone away and keep the electronics that control the sounder.

As above, why not just have the phone as a phone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back