Plug socket in damp wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a plug socket in a wall that has suffered from rising damp problems. Is this a bad idea? Are there any precautions I should take? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
has suffered?? in the past? and doesn't now?

if it's dry now, and you expect it to stay dry, then there's no problem.

If it's damp, then it would be foolish to fit a socket, even if protected by an RCD. Water and electrickery don't mix. You could always find & fix the damp problem. it'll make your house fall down if you leave it. (ok, maybe that's an exaggeration).

roger3007 said:
Are there any precautions I should take?
You should check what the law(s) and regulations that apply in Luxembourg say about DIY electrical work. It is entirely possible that you must use an officially accredited electrician, or have the work officially inspected and tested, or have to ask for permission first.

There could be all sorts of legalities that you have to observe, and I doubt if any of the people here in the UK would know.

I also suggest you take the precaution of not asking for electrical advice in the Electrics UK forum...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back