Plug socket in loft 2: The sequel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see the topic about fitting a plug socket in the loft was locked very quickly.

Presumably because it was going absolutely nowhere, because the op didn't seem to have any initial thoughts on how to do this, any photographs or drawings, and that the replies from the pros were vague as a result of that.

I don't think the op received adequate advice as how to obtain a feed from a lighting circuit, as it wasn't established how to obtain a permanent feed, since not all lights/ceiling roses will have this available.

The op was also set to join into a cable, which may or may not have been the correct thing to do.

I'm a little surprised by the immediate reaction to supply the socket from a lighting circuit when a socket circuit may have been available.

I would assume it to be logical to feed a socket from a socket circuit if there is one that is easily available, though we all know one can use a lighting circuit for small loads.

I didn't see an explanation as to why the thread was closed, I don't know if any comments were removed, such as the repetitive ones that often occur on such a subject.

But once again I feel an op has been left short changed with some very inconclusive replies that were not expanded on, leaving him confused and generally buggered about.

Sponsored Links
I'm a little surprised by the immediate reaction to supply the socket from a lighting circuit when a socket circuit may have been available.

I would assume it to be logical to feed a socket from a socket circuit if there is one that is easily available,

Exactly, as I said bad practice to feed it from the lighting circuit.

I didn't see an explanation as to why the thread was closed, I don't know if any comments were removed, such as the repetitive ones that often occur on such a subject.

All my (correct) posts were removed.
I'm afraid it is unwarranted censorship again.

But once again I feel an op has been left short changed with some very inconclusive replies that were not expanded on, leaving him confused and generally buggered about.

Indeed.

Oh it was you.

Hence all the immediate suggestions to come from the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
MKK2891.JPG

TLPT5.JPG

Yes, some posters like to wind others up!
Some posters don't like to see other posters promoting their own prejudices as though it were fact, in order to mislead. Particularly when the latter posters admit to never having owned, or even read a copy of the Wiring Regulations, which it is advisable for all to follow.

Some posters don't like to see other posters promoting their own prejudices as though it were fact, in order to mislead. Particularly when the latter posters admit to never having owned, or even read a copy of the Wiring Regulations, which it is advisable for all to follow.

Bad practice is bad practice whatever the wiring regs (which are not law) suggest.

If one was to view a brand new house, built 2019, and say 4 random double 13amp sockets in the house were permanently wired to lighting circuits, would we question it?

If one was to view a brand new house, built 2019, and say 4 random double 13amp sockets in the house were permanently wired to lighting circuits, would we question it?
But as you very well know - that isn't the issue here.
Here we are concerned with the requirement to cater for either:
  • specific low level lighting circuits designed to allow 1 wall switch to turn on a number of floor standing lamps without having to modify those lamps which already come with a 13A plug. These sockets would be specifically marked with their purpose, avoiding any unexpected results.
  • an add-on, low power consuming device in an attic, where only a 6A or 10A circuit is readily accessible, and the device in question is powered by a wall wart. Again with the socket clearly marked.
  • other situations similar to above.
These are reasons why the Wiring Regulations specifically allow the use of 13A sockets on 'lighting' circuits

Ok, 4 double sockets in a new house, in the lounge and bedroom, each labelled 'lighting only'. All fed from a convenient point on the lighting circuits. Would we question it?

I would, I'd think that was a bit rubbish, and consider how else it could have been done.

I expect you are one of those people who thinks that good lighting means a bright lamp hanging down in the centre of the room. Can't stand those myself.

Ok, 4 double sockets in a new house, in the lounge and bedroom, each labelled 'lighting only'. All fed from a convenient point on the lighting circuits. Would we question it?
The only reason I can think of for doing that is if you want the sockets/lights to be operated by a 'normal' light switch, so, I suppose it is alright.

Taking the supply from a ring circuit would preclude using a 'normal' light switch and multiple-gang 20A switches are not available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back