Plug socket in loft 2: The sequel

OK forget what BS7671 says, let us look at the real problem in using a lighting circuit, and that is a fault can cause us to lose the lights, so back in the day of fuses in the distribution unit using the smallest fuse that will fit a fused connection unit that is 1 amp, we could be reasonable sure a fault would blow a fuse rather than cause loss of lights.

Today that is not the case, it takes 30 amp to trip a MCB in the 0.01 seconds and well over that to rupture a 1 amp fuse, and the getting into the loft to disconnect what ever has caused it to blow likely means dropping loft ladders which likely needs doing in the dark.

However fitting the FCU so it can be switched without going into the loft would mean the fault could be removed without access to loft, so as long as the switch on a switched FCU is accessible without the use of steps or ladders, then the rise is to my mind within acceptable limits. The other option is to ensure there is still enough light after the lights fail, last house had a emergency light top of stairs so any power cut there was enough light to safely get to the garage where the consumer unit was located.

So now returning to BS7671, it states
Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit.
so fitting emergency lights removes the danger, so as long as emergency lights fitted, then there is really no problem fitting a 13A socket on a lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
The only reason I jumped straight onto the lighting cct is experience. Generally power ccts don't make their way into lofts and the chance of getting power up there without cutting a chase is limited.
I'd prefer it to be a proper 13a rated supply and ideally isolatable without climbing but a 10W wallwart on a 6A radial which just happens to include lights is unlikely to be a problem.

Sponsored Links
I do question house design specially where RCD's are fitted when there is a central stair case without emergency lighting, last house fitted an emergency light above stairs, this house a cheap Lidi rechargeable torch plugged in top of stairs which auto lights with movement or power cut.

What I want to do is fit a socket from lighting circuit high up so I can plug in the Lidi light so it will light if only the lighting circuit trips, as at moment it will not light is only lighting circuit trips. However since also triggered by movement, it is likely good enough to see past all the rubbish SHMBO leaves on the landing and stairs.
cc58941d4c82dbece8554e80d8be1ec8bc9ac274.jpg
The fact is so much today comes with the 13A plug as part of the unit, so we are forced even when installing lighting to use 13A sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back