Plug socket in loft 2: The sequel

The only reason I can think of for doing that is if you want the sockets/lights to be operated by a 'normal' light switch, so, I suppose it is alright.
No, as said in an earlier post, the socket has been wired permanently into the lighting circuit. It was done that way because it was easier and more convenient to do so. Not controlled from a switch anywhere. Just run from a lighting circuit in a similar manner as discussed on several occasions, situated in a lounge or bedroom for arguments sake. Let's say it has been engraved, rather than labelled, 'lighting only'. Do we question it?

Sponsored Links
Then why bother with 'lighting only' sockets? I don't see the point.
'Lighting only' label was to satisfy Detle's requirement. It can be unlabelled if you like.

This is theoretically a double fed from a lighting socket in a new house. Someone has chosen to wire it to a lighting circuit, as often discussed here.

Do we question it?

As I said before, no-one is proposing that stupid arrangement, only you. The reason for a lighting circuit of sockets is simply so that I can enter a room and operate one switch by the door which puts the complex lighting arrangement back exactly where it was last time I turned it off. I do not plan to spend the rest of my life feeling around in the dark for various switches to get back to where I was the night before.

Sponsored Links
As I said before, no-one is proposing that stupid arrangement, only you. The reason for a lighting circuit of sockets is simply so that I can enter a room and operate one switch by the door which puts the complex lighting arrangement back exactly where it was last time I turned it off. I do not plan to spend the rest of my life feeling around in the dark for various switches to get back to where I was the night before.

You misunderstand me.

I am not talking about fitting sockets from lighting circuits so they can be controlled from a door position.

I am talking about adding a socket from a lighting circuit. Permanently connected. No separate switch.

This is wired to a lighting circuit, the same way someone may connect a socket to a lighting circuit in the loft. Because it's easy to do it that way.

This socket could be used for a table lamp. Not controlled by the door. Just plugged in. Bit like most houses where a normal person goes over to the table lamp to turn it on. Nothing fancy.

Doesn't have to be table lamp plugged into it.

Just describing a scene; a brand new house, with a few double sockets wired into the lighting circuit, because the electrician couldn't be bothered to wire them into a conventional socket circuit. Do we question it?

In that case, I would question their logic or common sense - I don't see how it is easier in a new house - but

that is different from the usual reasons discussed for doing it.

Ah you've got it now. Good.

For whatever reason, the electrician decided it was easier to do it that way. Perhaps he forgot about during the initial first fix. Or he thought he was in his rights to do it that way. It seems like he CAN do it that way.

It's not a lot different to the other way, when it was suggested to add a 13amp socket to the lighting circuit in the loft, without finding out if there was a socket circuit to connect to.

As I suggested before you are simply inventing ridiculous scenarios; nothing to do with the original; in order to ridicule them. This is simply not worthy of consideration. I'm out.

I'm being awkward. I know that. I'm not trying to upset anyone, or say that sockets on a lighting circuit is a good or bad thing. I am impartial.

I am simply pointing out how sockets on lighting circuits are considered OK in one scenario, and frowned on in another.

The case of the earlier allowed one, for a small assumed load, on a lighting circuit, without even trying to connect to a different circuit.

And yet the pretend case of adding a socket from a lighting circuit, intended for small loads, in someone's lounge or bedroom in a brand new house seemed to frowned on as ridiculous.

Do we only do such work in lofts, or old houses?

As I said, I am being awkward, but hopefully I have some sort of point.

One could question the British system of 'lighting circuits'. What is a 'lighting circuit'? N.B. the ridiculous Table 52.3.

Whilst in my CU I have labels which state 'lights' and 'sockets', the circuits are, in fact, identical; i.e. 16A MCB and 1.5mm² wiring.

Therefore I could fit a socket connected to the light switch or a light connected to a socket and all would be well and nothing would change - apart from, perhaps, the label.

I'm being awkward. I know that. I'm not trying to upset anyone, or say that sockets on a lighting circuit is a good or bad thing. I am impartial.
I am simply pointing out how sockets on lighting circuits are considered OK in one scenario, and frowned on in another.
The case of the earlier allowed one, for a small assumed load, on a lighting circuit, without even trying to connect to a different circuit.
And yet the pretend case of adding a socket from a lighting circuit, intended for small loads, in someone's lounge or bedroom in a brand new house seemed to frowned on as ridiculous.
Do we only do such work in lofts, or old houses?
As I said, I am being awkward, but hopefully I have some sort of point.
The only point, I think, is that someone has done something unnecessary for no reason. Most house do not have sockets marked 'lighting only' which more correctly should be marked 'max 6A' as they have nothing to do with lights.

One could question the British system of 'lighting circuits'. What is a 'lighting circuit'? N.B. the ridiculous Table 52.3.

Whilst in my CU I have labels which state 'lights' and 'sockets', the circuits are, in fact, identical; i.e. 16A MCB and 1.5mm² wiring.

Therefore I could fit a socket connected to the light switch or a light connected to a socket and all would be well and nothing would change - apart from, perhaps, the label.

The only point, I think, is that someone has done something unnecessary for no reason. Most house do not have sockets marked 'lighting only' which more correctly should be marked 'max 6A' as they have nothing to do with lights.

(I suspect that talking about a socket fed from a lighting circuit, and then talking about plugging just lights into it may have baffled and confused people.)

'6amp max' is a far better example of a label - I should have suggested this. Maybe lighting was too specific as to what could go into this socket.

For continuity and simplicity, I could have suggested CCTV as an example for this 13amp socket.

Another problem is using the term '13A socket' when it merely relates to the maximum current it can handle.

What about fitting a '13A FCU' to the lighting circuit for a pump, fan or boiler etc.?
Does Winston complain that someone might use it for an immersion heater?

Another problem is using the term '13A socket' when it merely relates to the maximum current it can handle.

What about fitting a '13A FCU' to the lighting circuit for a pump, fan or boiler etc.?
Does Winston complain that someone might use it for an immersion heater?

BUT FCUs are not required or used on lighting circuits. An upstream 13a fuse on a 6a circuit! Absolute stupidity.

BUT FCUs are not required or used on lighting circuits. An upstream 13a fuse on a 6a circuit! Absolute stupidity.
I don't think that was EFLI's point. If there are people daft enough to plug a vacuum cleaner into a BS1363 socket labelled "6A max", they might be equally capable of connecting an immersion heater to an FCU labelled "1A (or 2A or 3A) max" (and there's no guarantee that the fuse would blow before the MCB tripped and 'plunged the house into darkness').

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back