plug sockets with usb connection ports

Sponsored Links
Almost every small device I own now charges via usb. ... They are for sure the future.
... but how long 'a future', I wonder? Technology changes very rapidly. Not that many years ago, few things were charged via USB. Any bets on whether, in a decade or so's time, whatever we're then using to charge most things will plug into a 2016-installed USB socket?

Kind Regards, John

It came up in the "similar posts" section at the bottom of this page :)

I read somewhere, that this was all prompted by the amount of chargers going too landfill, im quessing the next move is the products will come with leads only and no mains adapter.

Whats the technoligy called that charges wireless toothbrushes and some phones, maybe thats the future, some sort of magnetic feild generater

Sponsored Links
I read somewhere, that this was all prompted by the amount of chargers going too landfill, im quessing the next move is the products will come with leads only and no mains adapter.
That's already true of most mobile phones and many tablets etc. (and probably many other things), isn't it?

It's a bit ironic that something designed as a 'universal serial bus' is now becoming ubiquitous as a means of charging this - but, as I've just written, I wonder for how long, before we see the next 'improvement'?? I would be very hesitant to fill my house with hard-wired USB sockets, for that reason.

Kind Regardis, John

I just don't like the idea of a small transformer that is always on regardless of any load behind a socket.
ISTR that when we last discussed this here, it emerged that some of them only switched on power to the PSU when a USB plug was inserted. Or did I dream that?
You did not dream it. It depends on the product. Some of them - the dedicated MK USB socket for instance are only powered when something is plugged into one of the USB sockets.
The MK double socket with USB ports does not have this feature, however.:confused:

EDIT - its worth looking carefully at the spec of the socket. iPADs need 2A, while iPhones and other stuff only 500mA - 1A to charge properly.
The MK products deliver 2A (shared across the two outputs) other, cheaper, products are rated at 2amp but only provide 1A per socket (ie 2X1amp). Telco's USB/socket description says

• This device will also charge your Ipad, Kindle, and other tablet PC's but at a much slower rate to the original charger.

Last edited:
So that there will be USB chargers complete with the double 13A socket they're incorporated into going into landfill instead?

What happens if the 230 volt socket is damaged by heat from a defective plug ? Can you be 100% certain that the switch mode power supply (SMPS ) supplying the USB socket will "survive" and not put more than 5 volts onto the USB port. On cheaper items ( such as those where the CE mark means Chinese Export ) can you ensure that the USB voltage is 5 volts and clean enough to safely supply the item plugged into the USB socket. ( Clean ? some cheap SMPS supply pulses of voltage that average out to be about 5 volts but include pulses of voltage above 5 volts. ).

Some items can only be charged from the manufacturer's approved chargers because the item and the charger must exchange data handshakes before charging. If the charger cannot make the handshake then the item's power unit will not connect to the charger's 5 volt.

Whats the technoligy called that charges wireless toothbrushes and some phones, maybe thats the future, some sort of magnetic feild generater
It's not very long since they phone manufacturers (except Apple, of course) agreed to standardise on the smaller of the two co-axial plugs then in use.
My satnav, phone and tablet all came with only a USB lead, no mains charger. In fact the phone wouldn't charge from a dedicated mains charger, it needed to hadshake via USB as Bernard suggests.
Yes, in the future they'll all be wireless: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wireless phone charger pad

For example; by a bed, the best chance scenario is a twin socket. If you have a phone and a smartwatch (both devices that require charging daily) that's game over. No space for a mains clock, bedside light etc.
They are for sure the future.

You're forgetting your other half's USB-rechargeable buzzy friend...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back