plug!

Sponsored Links
Hell that's nothing. I had one where they'd stripped back the protective covers on all three wires back to the clamp. When I plugged it in, it just blew (literally) when the power was switched on. And that came from the manufacturers.

Was called out as the old plug was all melted, so the manager cut the plug off and fitted the new one, thing is to be sure he even took a photo of the old plug first and copied the colours and connections, he showed me the photo and oddly that was connected the wrong way too, he said that it was working last night, so all a bit strange.
Luckily the plug fuse was blown.

Sponsored Links
Holy cow!!

Was the old plug wired incorrectly and a dog's dinner, or just simply wired incorrectly? is the other end of the cable wired the same? How does the oven do on a pat test?
Is that oven even suitable for a 13a plug?

I know an electrician that wires plugs as bad as that! ;)

Let's just hope that the same 'convention' was adopted at both ends!

Kind Regards, John
That never occured to me, however when i refitted the plug correct, I confirmed earth continuity to the case and also the appliance then worked,whereas the manager had tripped 2 mcbs prior to me attending, by plugging it in, so i assume from that the other end was correctly wired.
I need to go back for further works so will try and get the picture of the original plug that melted, also wired wrong as im baffled how the unit ever would have worked.

I don't understand how it could have tripped mcbs with that wiring unless there was a neutral-earth fault inside the appliance. It would have just made the case live. Did the RCD trip to? Perhaps the case of the appliance was (fortunately) touching something earthed.

I don't understand how it could have tripped mcbs with that wiring unless there was a neutral-earth fault inside the appliance. It would have just made the case live. Did the RCD trip to? Perhaps the case of the appliance was (fortunately) touching something earthed.
What assumption are you making about the relationship between the core 'colours' and function? .... ("never assume" :) )

Kind Regards, John

What assumption are you making about the relationship between the core 'colours' and function?
Well, I did ask that back earlier but no response yet:
is the other end of the cable wired the same? How does the oven do on a pat test?
However rocky since said the earth is correct,
when i refitted the plug correct, I confirmed earth continuity to the case and also the appliance then worked
so the only remaining fault would be polarity reversed at the appliance end. And possible neutral to earth fault if no RCD protection.

I can see the MCB was tripping because the loose hairy mess in the plug was shorting the top of the fuse to the earth pin, but if the old plug really was wired that way too and it worked then and also after correctly wiring the plug I can't see any way the case wasn't live:
when i refitted the plug correct, I confirmed earth continuity to the case
and short of a neutral-earth fault in the appliance, I can't see how it would have worked before even with the case sitting at 240v

The only other assumption I'm making is that the photo of the socket tester shows it correctly wired, it's not clear on my phone.

Last edited:
That never occured to me, however when i refitted the plug correct, I confirmed earth continuity to the case and also the appliance then worked,whereas the manager had tripped 2 mcbs prior to me attending, by plugging it in, so i assume from that the other end was correctly wired.
I need to go back for further works so will try and get the picture of the original plug that melted, also wired wrong as im baffled how the unit ever would have worked.
The only way I can think it could have worked is if there was a live-neutral reversal in the supply to the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back