Connector needed, help please . . . . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks - looking to feed the cable in the photo through a brick air vent and the adaptor to the plug/transformer is just slightly too big to get in the hole. Would it be easy to cut the cable and fit a small connector? If so what sort of connector might I use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
View media item 100458View media item 100455

Sponsored Links
Just buy a female to male extension cable, then you won't have to cut anything.

Can't you get a straight extension lead, try ebay

Mrchibs, great minds think alike:D

Sponsored Links
I had assumed that the cable would be going to the outside through the airbrick and so didn't suggest an extension as the connection would be outside and exposed to the weather.

Just buy a female to male extension cable, then you won't have to cut anything.
Look for "2.5 mm extension Lead/Cable" or "2.1 mm extension Lead/Cable", depending on the size of the connection which you are extending.
Usually it is 2.5, but there are always exceptions.

If not sure, take the lead to a store to make the size comparison.

Thanks folks. Yes stem is correct, it's going outside. I'll take it to a shop to have a straight version fitted cause I don't know what polarity means. Got two of them.

Many thanks for your quick responses.

Maintaining polarity means making sure the wires go to the same connections as they do now ie + and - are connected the right way around and not reversed. It only applies to DC power supplies. The label on it will tell you if it's an AC or DC unit.

I wouldn't worry about the connector being outside, the metal parts appear to be stainless (no idea as to the grade though!) and I don't ever recall one being affected by rust

You would think so wouldn't you. I had a set of 12v garden lights with such connectors purchased as a set from a well known DIY shed. They were a nightmare. One did appear to go rusty, or have rusty streaks, water got inside the others and I had to keep cleaning them, and messing about unplugging and plugging them in an attempt to keep the lights on. Ended up soldering the connections together in waterproof box. Been fine for last 5 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back