plugging elec. blanket into rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If an elec. Blanket is used via a plug in RCD and then a glass of water or worse is spilt in the bed on top the the elec. Blanket will the rcd trip? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No not 79, that was a good year.

So looks like there is no way of safeguarding against spillage?

Sponsored Links
So looks like there is no way of safeguarding against spillage?
I think you may have misunderstood. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what EFLI probably meant was that the RCD would probably not trip when you spilt liquid on it (provided that "no extraordinary circumstances were present") because the spillage should not have created any hazard to "safeguard against".

I definitely would not recommend spilling liquids onto electric blankets - but one would hope that they are designed toi remain safe even if that happens!

Kind Regards, John

The wires in an electric blanket are plastic coated, so spilling a glass of water on one will be no different from throwing it on an extension cable.

Ok, thanks for that, I can tell my elderly mother that she can relax next time she wants drink her coffee or wine in bed.

Ok, thanks for that, I can tell my elderly mother that she can relax next time she wants drink her coffee or wine in bed.
Yes, you can - provided that you make sure that she is using an electric blanket which isn't too old/'worn' - the advice you've been given does not necessarily hold for aged blankets!

Kind Regards, John

Of course if she was to reach out of the bed and touched something earthed, and the blanket was faulty (the plastic coating damaged) the RCD could trip. Note if the socket circuit is already RCD protected having a second plug in one serves no purpose other than to waste money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back