Dreamland electric blanket broken but not the plug or cable

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Although that document says that electric blankets should be "tested by a competent electrician at least every three years" (you had said every year, but I suppose that would be even better!), and mentions what are probably the most visually apparent 'danger signs' that such checking seeks to detect, it does not really help me to understand the basis on which a competent electrician would be able to determine whether or not an observed degree of "creasing or folding" constituted a 'danger sign'.

As I said before, the only other types of 'checking' I could think of would be a visual inspection (for the things listed in the document, and probably fairly obvious to most users, as well as 'competent electricians') and (not that it would be likely to be of much use) an insulation resistance test. As for the 'creasing/folding', which seems to be all else that there is, is there any source of guidance for someone doing the checking as to what 'checking' criteria they should apply?

Kind Regards, John

for approx £100 notes is it worth it?
Is what worth what?

Are you suggesting that yearly 'checking by a competent electrician' is so unlikely to detect a potential danger that was not already obvious to the owner/user that owners should buy a new £100 electric blanket every year?

That might sound a bit facetious, but I'm not sure what, in the real world, the true alternatives would be.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
AIUI, isn't the largest cause of EB fires people using over-blankets as under-ones?

Is what worth what?

Are you suggesting that yearly 'checking by a competent electrician' is so unlikely to detect a potential danger that was not already obvious to the owner/user that owners should buy a new £100 electric blanket every year?

That might sound a bit facetious, but I'm not sure what, in the real world, the true alternatives would be.

Kind Regards, John

nooo! I am suggesting the OP buys a new one (or has it replaced if still under guarantee)

nooo! I am suggesting the OP buys a new one (or has it replaced if still under guarantee)
That's essentially what has already been suggested (or, if out of warranty, see if the manufacturer might offer a deal on a new one). Indeed, in the very first response to the OP's original question, I said that I very much doubted that, even if it were possible, a repair would be cost-effective.

All the subsequent talk about regular 'checking' of electric blankets is really of no relevance to the OP, whose blanket has already (partially) failed!

Kind Regards, John

If you have the receipt, always worth ringing the parent company up and getting a discount on a new one.

The blanket itself can't be repaired

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back