Plumber has damaged new pedestal - what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had my bathroom refitted. The plumber fitted the suite and then came back after the tiling was done to finish a few things off, including fixing the sink to the wall. I wasn't at home when he did the work, but when I got home I noticed that the pedestal had a number of large cracks near it's base. In addition someone had filled part of the cracks with a bright white putty-like substance, in an apparent attempt to cover the cracks. It looks a complete mess, and certainly wasn't like that before the plumber's second visit. I called him and asked if he knew anything about the cracks on the pedestal. He denied all knowledge. I mentioned that part of the cracks had been filled with something, and again he denied all knowledge. When I said it hadn't been like that before that day, he quite readily said that in that case he would have to get me a new pedestal and he would swap them over. He told me he would try and get me one the next morning, then call me around Midday to arrange fitting. Anyway, he didn't call, and he hasn't been answering my calls or returning my messages since then. I already paid him in full after he initially fitted the suite (as it was only little jobs left to do later), so I can't withhold cash from him to buy a new pedestal. What else can I do to try and sort out this situation?

Sponsored Links
Don't know how you can prove anything unfortunately. I certainley wouldn't back down and let him get away with it.

At worst I can't see why he couldn't replace it FOC and take the cracked one back and say it is faulty :eek:

But then this is why all proper tradesmen have public liability insurance. I assume he is a proper plumber :rolleyes:

If I broke something I would replace it no quibble. I would have been the idiot, not the customer :cry:

Had the tiler been there when the pedistal was apparently cracked or any one else?

If I damage anything I replace it without any problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Perhaps learn from your mistake and not pay in full until completely finished, easy to say, difficult to do.

Get a replacement pedestal and see if you can't just slide it under the basin. You will need two pairs of hands. Loosen off the wall screws first to the basin, you may be surprised how much movement you can get.

If successful, at least you gain some self satisfaction out of it all. :)

His liability insurance won't cover it, most policies have a hefty excess (£500 or more).

Tell him you'lll mailshot his neighbours if you get no result, embarassment is sometimes the only way.

I had a job not so long ago, moving a towell rail, the "builder" decided to replace the ceiling (with me underneath) and dropped his club hammer onto the WC. He was too lazy to protect the bathroom suite, didn't give a toss about me (so I walked out), and then wanted me to source a replacement (no chance). :LOL:

Havent you learnt not to work for builders yet, Geoff?

Tony

I had a look outside the bathroom window at the previous bathroom fitters effort:

The flexible waste hose is from the dishwasher, the 15mm copper and twin & earth feed the electric shower; they pop back in through the bathroom wall vent :rolleyes:

Gasguru wrote

the "builder" decided to replace the ceiling (with me underneath) and dropped his club hammer onto the WC.

Were you wearing a hard hat ?. I doubt it. :(
Had it hit you on the head you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
You wouldn't be standing anyway as you would probably have been knocked out cold. :(
So just be thankful it hit the WC and stop moaning .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back