plumber said corgi will notify the council for my new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
He must notify Corgi of the installation, who will then write to you. Corgi will also notify buildings control. They may want to randomly inspect the work. The gas safety certificate is not a requirement for any installation.

Sponsored Links
ArtfulBodger said:
He must notify Corgi of the installation, who will then write to you. Corgi will also notify buildings control. They may want to randomly inspect the work. The gas safety certificate is not a requirement for any installation.

obviously dont do any local authourity work then

as they insist :eek:

Freestyle, I am beginning to wonder if your installer is CORGI registered to do your installation.

He is only CORGI registered IF he is doing the installation under the business name on the registration. Please give us the CORGI Number and the business name and we can check.

He cannot work for British Gas AND do installations on the side for you UNLESS he is registered HIMSELF with his OWN CORGI number ! Have you seen his CORGI protocard with his photo AND the name of the business you will pat your CHEQUE to ???

Althought covered above in bits the complete correct sequence is:-

1. Install boiler
2. Complete Benchmark ( Commissioning document WITH the correct CORGI details and HIS name! )
3. He will notify CORGI and THEY will notify Building Control and write to you telling you that he is registered.
4. You or he can complete and send off the guarantee card.
5. Totally optional and normally only for HA or Council work he could fill in gas safety certificate.

IF he is only offering you number 5 above then he is installing when not correctly registered ( or at all ) and yuo shoul NOT pay him the full price because you will have to get someone else to commission and Notify at usually about £130 IF you can find anyone to do it ! CORGI try to say that we can only do this if we have already reported an illefal installation !

Tony Glazier

Thank you for the reply Tony.

After all that fuss, at the end he produced (and done everything) you outlined in the correct order.

I think the real problem I had was that he was not a very good sales man. When I asked about Corgi he smilled and laughed and said yes.

Personally if I was him as part of trying to get the job, I would produce a written quote on the spot (after all he did the verbal quote) and on the paper (pre-printed to save him tim) it would list those 5 items in order as you have stated.

And of course his corgi number.

Are you a teacher or something? We don't have time to write out lesson plans for each job. We'll answer questions from enquiring minds but we are skilled at what we do, it's a doing job not a writing job.

Maybe Paul, but its a fact of life that those of us who are the most business efficient are perceived as the best businessmen by many customers.

I always present our business card on arrival to a new customer and ask engineers to show their Corgi photo card to tenants and occupiers to establish their identity.

As far as quotations are concerned, any installer who does NOT produce a written quotation AND get it signed by the client as accepted is risking problems getting paid.

Tony Glazier

I do present business card, and use the corgi estimate pad on the day, otherwise I couldn't remember what I'd said, life is so busy estimates not done on the night are forgotten, and if later remembered you just think, oh they won't be interested any more.

No I was objecting to the level of detail and order requested in this instance.

We can fix a toilet in minutes get payed effectively very well, and customer couldn't give two hoots what forms we filled in in what order. Why should boilers be so differnt.

Unvented cylinders, those are more dangerous than boilers, only red tape I have with those is I go round to building control, tell them what I'm fitting where, they take a copy of my citb card and file it with the address. They don't charge me anything and never stick their noses into my business, they leave it to me to do my job.

This boiler situation has become so bad I might just fix them instead of installing them the rate we're going. I need a rest anyway.

The original customer here thought the quotation should have included a list of the notification procedure.

If the installer had given a written quotation on headed paper with his CORGI number then I dont think the questions would have arisen.

Although its not essential, we have a standard format for new boiler quotations which list the steps and the notification procedures. Its no problem as its on the standard format and looks impressive compared with the handwritten scrap of paper saying " Fix new boiler £800 cash. "

Tony

I just say on the original quote certified compliant with Building regs through corgi, electrical work tested and certified for Part P by qualified electrician.

What I don't do is make a list of all the paperwork I have to do and in what order. I presi.

As to how I do it, I do all the work on the toolls. then test it, then fill in paperwork in whatever order I jolly well want to.

I should add the sparky charges me 50 squids as long as I've done the bonding service and equipotential and everything tests good. He charges customer for anything required beyond that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back