how hard is it to get corgi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello!
Found this site purely by accident and i am happy i did, what a great helpful site !

I passed my acs in january of this year and i am wondering about approaching Corgi and becoming registered. Did my training at Leeds college of building for over 2 years under the C.I.T.B scheme, achieving water regs cert, unventing cert, nvq level 3 and a.c.s ( domestic natural gas safety, cooking appliances, fires and wall heaters, water heating appliances and heating boilers < 70kw.
I am not a stupid person i have 17 years garage experience with some qualificatios. Also a qualified computer engineer and have cisco networking qualifications.

Some will think if you have qual's in computing then use the search tool, well i've tried but found no one with same set of circumstances as myself.

My question is How hard is it to get Corgi registered? simple as that. Been told (looking for more opinions) that it's harder than all the exams i have sat. I would have thought nothing could be harder than the PAWS book that i endured doing the acs. lol.

I am not working full time at the moment, and rightly or wrongly i have fitted a few central heating systems and had the installations certified by a Corgi plumber ( i say rightly or wrongly because there seems to be a wide varied point of view from many rgi's on here about this kind of activity ) I would consider myself as competent ( having done the 2 years at college and got my qualifications ) rather than a d.i.y er.

I went to college to do plumbing so that i could learn how to fit my own cenal heating system (simple as) because having seen contracters in other properties running pipes down the walls in living rooms and seeing shelves drilled to run pipes through them put me off getting it done by anyone else, i was also intrigued as to how it worked i.e water density affected by heat and pressure as i now know,lol.

I learnt that in no time but i enjoyed the course and got on with the guys on the course that i decided to stay.

I would say that with alot of common sense and been able to use your hands that it's not rocket science to pass the exams but you can't buy experience, so far i have used my gas regs books to the letter and the Corgi guy has never faulted my work. I wouldn't dream of touching a gas fire,open flued water heater or gas cooker without more experience. Only fitted room sealed combi boilers and have had them certified after installation before use. My tutor worked for BG as an engineer that was called upon when serious incidents occur, he told stories of having to walk across dead bodies to get to a defective water heater. Don't fancy that kind of s**t happening due to my lack of experience.

Sorry for the essay guys but got used to writing em now since leaving college!

Respect

Andy.

Sponsored Links
If you have ACS you are deemed competant. Why not give CORGI a ring (and lots of money too) so they can send you a membership pack. Then get a job with an experienced contractor to gain experience.
You can work under an employer's registration if you are competant, saving registration fees, then save up to join CORGI if and when you feel like going it alone.

As above, but just get on with it they'll welcome you with open arms, dues to the 10 fold increase in beaurocracy changing standards and associate additional workload and costs for us, people are not bothering to re-register. Ask any test centre, the old hands are dropping like flies.

It's a new ball game, and it's not a good game.

Sponsored Links
as long as you can resite by heart correct tightness (soundness) procedure, and know that a flueless appliance has ventilation needs based on room volume you're through.

when i was first visited, i was only asked 3 questions of which i was told my answers were wrong.i knew i was right and suggested he checked his regs.sure enough i was right, he was not up to speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back