ACS help from corgi man

sp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have passed my nvq-2 plumbing this year. I want to give ACS exam to become a corgi reg. plumber but all the ACS centres now required work based evidance of gas works with corgi person.
Any advice from corgiman will be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatly this is true mate

Have you tried calling some installers in your area to offer you services?

Are they doing the acs at the college where you took your training?, if they are they may have a way to get sufficient hours in gas work to qualify for acs, I know our local college has found a way!. Try asking one of the tutors.

No disrespect to the nvq 2 plumbing but you will need a lot more specific training than that to do acs...perhaps it would be worth you looking at maybe an nvq2 in gas service and maintainence and then by the time you have that finished the new entrant acs policy may be less farcical than it is now

Even then your gonna need work experiance as all the trainers I am in contact with cannot assess entrants without it.

I think its to stop all those lads coming out of college with the bare minimum and expect to walk straight into CORGI and the millions that it is supposed to bring in :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would just like to add a footnote to this post if I may...
I do not honestly know why everybody is under the impression that if you are CORGI Registered you earn bundles and bundles of money. I reached the required standard and the only way I did this was by struggling through to pay my fees at the college and then to put myself in a good position with regards to my Registration I worked for 1 day a week (For nothing) for a year with a fully qualified CORGI engineer, who had all the units on his card. I honestly have no idea why a NVQ2 new qualified plumber is even trying to get CORGI registered just take your time and get the experience you need first, and then you will have no problems. The latest news from CORGI is that you will need 80 hours experience (per unit) before they will consider you for their club. They want to protect their name which I consider a good thing.
If you still want to go ahead then that is of course down to you, I just think (And it is only my opinion, tell me to shut up if you like) that you are better walking before you can run.
Good Luck anyway .

I really dont envy anyone coming into the industry at the moment.

I cannot remember a time when we had so many people looking over our shoulder to judge us, and I am astonished nearly daily with the costs involved in just proving you can do the same job you have been doing for years.

I think that in about four or five years nearly everyone who has run into becoming a plumber due to the media misrepresentation of the likely rewards will be disillusioned, up to thier necks in debt and trying to get out. (not to mention the bad backs, busted up knees etc).

The knee jerk reaction to the "skills shortage" is dumbing down our industry at a rate of knots and Joe Public is going to reap the whirlwind they really are.

That said I am always willing to new a new recruit and have, and do, provide on the job training for students as and when I can to get them through ACS, but only lads and (and so far only one) lasses who are not doing the "career change" thing as those people, in my opinion, are an accident waiting to happen

Anyways Rant over :oops:

Thank You all the guys for reply
I have called many installer but can't find any luck. Most have excuse that they are new in business or we are very small company.

I have call from one collage to start gas nvq but I have to wait till sep. 05

Many customer don't really ask for corgi registration but I don't like to work that way, that's why I am trying to find the way to become corgi register.

once again, thanks all for your reply.

its not just a question of "not liking to work that way" you could end up in a shed load of trouble

bide your time mate everything comes to he who waits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back