Plumber said my Vaillant wiring was beyond him & he couldnt install my Hive ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 2 channel hive and asked him to install, he took the cover off the wiring centre and saw this and then said it was beyond him and left - anyway, I want to do it myself and wondered if anyone can confirm what I do with the two wires going to Bus sockets (as its a vaillant Ecotec 837 system boiler)

Thanks in advance

IMG_4965.jpg

Sponsored Links
by the way black cable goes to MA1 3 port valve

My thoughts are that the Bus wires are probably permanent lives into valves. What room temp control do you have at the moment?

My thoughts are that the Bus wires are probably permanent lives into valves. What room temp control do you have at the moment?
I believe the connection labeled "BUS" is a 24V eBus link to the boiler. Please don't connect it to the mains! ;)
It appears the OP has a Vaillant VR65 control centre:
1669737726106.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
yes I do have a VR65 (its crap) but its all going (hopefully) to be replaced by Hive

So my two questions are;

1/ with Hive can I just safely sheath off the Bus wires currently running from the boiler and not connect them anywhere on Hive??

2/ the two cylinder stat wires - where do I connect them or can I just remove those too as Hive cant handle that function ?

Many thanks for any help

Last edited:
yes I do have a VR65 (its crap) but its all going (hopefully) to be replaced by Hive

So with Hive can I just safely sheath off the Bus wires from the boiler and not connect them anywhere to Hive??

Yes, but I would wait for a reply from someone more experienced! - I don't know if any configuration changes would be needed for the boiler to ignore eBus - but I doubt it :)

HW on to 3 on hive, but interrupt this with the two wires going to the cyl stat
CH on to 4 on hive
Disconnect the bus wires
L&N from boiler to L&N on hive no links anywhere
Simple as that

Many thanks Ian, can I just clarify what you mean when you say 'interrupt' with the 2 wires going to cylinder stat?

Many thanks Ian, can I just clarify what you mean when you say 'interrupt' with the 2 wires going to cylinder stat?
take a wire from 3 at the hive connect it to one of the wires from the cyl stat, then the other wire from the cyl stat connects to the wire going to the mid position valve, so that when calling for HW if the cyl stat is satisfied then the valve wont move and the boiler wont fire, once the cyl stat calls for heat it will complete the circuit and the boiler will fire,if HW is switched to come on

ah brilliant - many thanks

just out of interest, if I did just remove the cylinder stat wires altogether would it still work but just keep heating the hot water with no temperature limit?

ah brilliant - many thanks

just out of interest, if I did just remove the cylinder stat wires altogether would it still work but just keep heating the hot water with no temperature limit?
No, if you remove the wires you will have to put a link in between the two terminals to complete the circuit, as you already have a cyl stat would be daft not to use it, in fact looking at your set up again you should be able to leave the cyl stat wiring as it is, looks like it is interupped via the boilers PCB, so just leave it and wire the HW on and CH on as above

in fact looking at your set up again you should be able to leave the cyl stat wiring as it is, looks like it is interupped via the boilers PCB,
Forgive me, I may be wrong, but to me it looks as if there are two cables entering the control centre at the middle position:
Screenshot_20221130-101740_Chrome.jpg
I guess that the white cable may be the cylinder stat connection?

I have the VR66 and looked into getting a Hive.

Looking at the Hive website it says that it isn't compatible with the VR65 (which is the same as the VR66 really) and was told I would need to completely decommission the wiring centre and start again

Forgive me, I may be wrong, but to me it looks as if there are two cables entering the control centre at the middle position:
View attachment 287254
I guess that the white cable may be the cylinder stat connection?
Looks like there’s a white cable going to the cyl connection in the wiring center.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back