Plumbers. Bless them.

Sponsored Links
On a Persimmon Homes house orignal wiring I found the class II thermostat on the tank used green/yellow as a line wire. With that in mind how can one really answer questions like that.

Only one answer is get an electrician. The "doitall" answer could well be what would get it running however I would never tell some one to connect an earth wire to a line connection even if it would make it work.

Well, the OP has gone and done it that way, it seems.

I guess he looked at the range of opinions on offer, discounted the huge majority saying not to use the G/Y for anything other than an earth, and went with that moronic f***wit doitall's advice because that was easy.

What a t**t.

Sponsored Links
cat amongst pigeons time...

Whats the reg number that says you cant use the green/yellow of a 3core flex as a switched live if oversleeved brown?

(No, I have never, and will never consider it acceptable)

Which refers to not sleeving green/yellow single core cables for any other purpose.

This was pointed out to me in the office when I tried to pull up a 3core flex to a photocell with the green/yellow mis-used as being incorrect. Apparently the reg has had a slight re-wording to suit harmonisation with europe.

I simply stated that may well be the case, but it doesn't comply with the final paragraph of 411.3.1.1 and was still wrong

looks like you sparks are all wrong then. :LOL:

It's perfectly acceptable to use an insulated green and yellow for heating controls, provided it's oversleeved and identified.

Confirmation from NICEIC, and building control, still waiting for John at NAPIT to reply.

Uninsulated earths cannot be used.

Get to grips with the regs guys. :mrgreen:

Which refers to not sleeving green/yellow single core cables for any other purpose.

This was pointed out to me in the office when I tried to pull up a 3core flex to a photocell with the green/yellow mis-used as being incorrect. Apparently the reg has had a slight re-wording to suit harmonisation with europe.

I simply stated that may well be the case, but it doesn't comply with the final paragraph of 411.3.1.1 and was still wrong

To answer Adam before I retreat back to the heating forum.

They did say that heating controls is the only instance that you can oversleeve the green and yellow.

To answer Adam before I retreat back to the heating forum. ... They did say that heating controls is the only instance that you can oversleeve the green and yellow.
Well, IMO that does seem to be a particularly daft thing for 'them' to say - regardless of the rest of the debate about the interpretation of the wiring regs, one thing which is clear is that BS7671 certainly doesn't single out 'heating controls' as being different from any other application.

Kind Regards, John

Update 2-1 for the plumbers at the moment.

NAPIT replied, but subject to change.

The earthing conductor should not be over sleeved to indicate it as any other conductor than what it is, identification of the ends is all well and good but if someone where to break into the cable along its length for whatever reason, then the cpc would for all intensive purposes at that point would be the earth and connections would be incorrect and possibly dangerous. All conductors should be identified as BS7671 chapter 51

No idea, unless its something to do with using a multitude of different colours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back