plumbfix - boiler purchase help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a CIPHE registered plumber builder. I need to buy a Baxi Duo tec Combi. Plumbfix have got one but wont let me buy it , not being Gas Safe. However I am plumbfix a/c holder. They have informed me that if I can get a Gas Safe engineer to order, I can then use the order no. to pay seperately and deleverd to my address. Anyone help me?
PS I am currently doing My NVQ 3 plumbing leading to ACS etc. I have a guy in the village who will install, but he is not plumbfix nor will he ever be.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as if you are really going to install it yourself.

If the guy is gas safe registered then he can order it himself. Anyone can order from Plumbfix if they are gas safe registered.

Tony

Well done plumbfix, you are more on the ball than gas safe or corgi put together

What? For a start I am entitled to install it myself as it is my OWN house, however that wil not be the case as I have the local engineer to do the job.

Plumbfix only sell to boilers to Gas safe engineers not for safety reasons but for marketing purposes, i.e. to put local merchants out of business. There's no mark up on those prices for plumbfix. Once theyve torn into the market the prices will go up.

Ive not posted for your to make a judgement on my intentions, and wrongly so to boot. Ive posted for help, not to be patronised.

Sponsored Links
it does state in the catalogue that you need to be gas safe reg to buy boiler and other gas parts.
plumbcentre have the same policy

nothing to do with marketing it keeps the numbnuts away from causing disasters.

should of been done yrs ago. bq etc should all follow.

You are only allowed to fit in in your own house IF "you are competent".

Do you really know how to size and test the gas supply?

How will you complete the Benchmark Certificate and notify building Control?

I dont see how you can imagine it can help Plumbfix to restrict sales to qualified people.

Dont you think that its to stop cowboy builders who are not registered?

Tony

I understand what your saying, and youre right.
However plumbfix arent obliged by any law to restrict sales in that way. They do so for profitibility, not due to any moral obligation. They sign up all the gas safe engineers, offering them their own mark up on the boiler. Depriving local merchants in the process. If they dont offer the GSR engineers this exclusivety wheres the motivation to join ? Its the same with any trade account.

Would you have the same reservations about the sale of electrical items such as plug sockets and lighting? Surely that should be restricted in the same way, if not more so.

Ill have no problem buying a boiler, its just that Ill have to pay more for it. My local engineer could buy me one from his merchant with his own insatllers mark up, however Im more likely to go to the engineer who offers me the best price on the cost of the boiler/installation, most probably someone who buys it from plumbfix.

I suppose what Im saying is i find it annoying that plumbfix are restricting sales to not to be 'gas safe' or thru any moral obligation, but to increase market share

Agile

You seem to misunderstand me, I am NOT installing this myself.
I am entitled to, it being my own home. I didnt make that rule.And yes I would be competent. Yes I do know how to size pipes and test etc. And yes I fully aware of benchmark scheme and the notification of building control. But to repeat :- I have no need to install it myself, I can pay to have that done.

Look, the Gas Safe Register is there to protect the customer. It applies to the installation of the appliance not the sale/purchase. If I decide to install the appliance outside of the legal requirements I am breaking the law. Simple as. The customer is protected. Likewise if I install it in my own home, I am protected by the process used by building control. Once again it is illegal not to conform. Once again Id highlight the lack of restriction on elctrical accessory sales.

Restricting sales in this way is not about protecting the customer or the purchaser. Its about profitibility and in pure economic terms may not be such a good thing.

Well not such a good thing for me!

SO ANYWAY DOES ANYONE WANT TO HELP ME BUY A BOILER???

but your not competent.
someone is only seen as competent when they are gas reg

how can we help you buy a boiler ?

Restricting sales does just that, it reduces the number and creates fewer sales and profit.

They do it to stop cowboy builders buying boilers and fitting them by unregistered.

You man could buy the boiler through plumbfix as could any GSR.

Although you keep on saying you are going to get someone to fit it for you then there is no problem because he can get it from plumbfix.

I dont understand why you have a problem if what you are saying is true.

The only way you might have a small problem if if you are planning to fit it yourself and with your plumbing knowledge thats what I think you are going to do.

To enable you to prove that a GSR is going to fit it, post his registration number or email it to me otherwise I am bound to think you have fitted it yourself!

Of all the new boilers I have seen in the last three years in my local area probably less than 20% have been notified!

Tony

Just get your gas safe guy to order it he can give them his number and add to your account if your there.

but your not competent.
someone is only seen as competent when they are gas reg
You do not have to be registered to prove your competence, but you do have to be competent to be registered!

To quote Corgi Tech Bulletin 214

Regulation 3 (1) of the GSIUR states:

"No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so".

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) define competence as a combination of both training and experience. Therefore, anyone who does work on a gas fitting (this includes appliances) or gas storage vessel must be competent to do so, whether or not they are required to be a Corgi Member

This obviously means that you have to be competent (training and experience), but not necessarily registered to do gas work.

If you have an ultimate discount heating merchant local to you go there as they dont care who they sell too and you will probably get it cheaper as plumbfix are expensive. yeeeeeeehaaaaaa :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back