plumbing above or below ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really need some urgent honest advice please
I having a new boiler system installed together with a new gas pipe + water line.

The plumber wants it all underground through the internal concrete flooring. im not sure of this as i'm worried about possible leaks going unnoticed.
I have suggested they be run along the walls but he doesn't agree with this way.

Am i wrong in wanting it all above ground for the obvious reasons? I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
A gas pipe running through concrete is perfectly ok provided the pipe
is protect. A sleeving/conduit or duct tape at the very minimum.

Why the plumber would want to go through the concrete is a bit
of a mystery unless the concrete is already coming up for some reason
as running a gas pipe along the wall is much quicker and less mess.
Most gas fitters choose the easy route unless the customer specifically
asks for it.

Agree most people would go for the easy option, but this guy really takes pride in his work and says the pipes will show and wont look nice.

Its a extension and its all empty hence its only a case of chasing out the concrete. no moving things around etc.

But i must concede i worry hell of a lot and still not 100% which is the way best.

Water pipe will be plastic and gas pipe metal + rad pipes all underground. My biggest scare is a small water leak or even a small gas leak going unnoticed sometime down the line.

by the way he included the chasing of concrete in the quote so it not like he doing it for free.

I having a new boiler system installed together with a new gas pipe + water line.

The plumber wants it all underground through the internal concrete flooring. im not sure of this as i'm worried about possible leaks going unnoticed.
I have suggested they be run along the walls but he doesn't agree with this way.

Am i wrong in wanting it all above ground for the obvious reasons? I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Ask him why he wants it buried and get back to us.

Sounds (on the face of it) as if he is beefing the job up.

Sponsored Links
Agree most people would go for the easy option, but this guy really takes pride in his work and says the pipes will show and wont look nice.

Its a extension and its all empty hence its only a case of chasing out the concrete. no moving things around etc.

But i must concede i worry hell of a lot and still not 100% which is the way best.

Water pipe will be plastic and gas pipe metal + rad pipes all underground. My biggest scare is a small water leak or even a small gas leak going unnoticed sometime down the line.

by the way he included the chasing of concrete in the quote so it not like he doing it for free.

Gas leaks are easily found by a test at the meter. Anyone servicing
the boiler should be doing this test every year.
Plastic for water pipes. If it is really done properly with access points
for connections if there should be a leak a new pipe can be drawn through the conduit with little disruption.
Personally I don't like concrete floors. Hard and cold. Suspended wooden floors for me and very easy to access should there be a problem.

The new water run from the outside cock into the kitchen would be in plastic.

Ask him why he wants it buried and get back to us.

Sounds (on the face of it) as if he is beefing the job up.

belive it or not the guy came in cheaper than the previous chap who priced for running it along the wall.

What model vaillant is it a system, combination or heat only boiler?

If it is a system boiler it will be a 637

If it is a combination boiler it will be a 837

If it is a heat only boiler it will be a 438[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back