Plumbing and electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me, im a central heating engineer and recently changed two emersion stats but didn't change the actually emersion, one of the stats is on economy seven and the other is just a normal emersion, since doing this all the economy storage heaters wont turn off and have power 24/7, I was wondering if there was anyway the house mains power is back feeding somehow,any ideas would be grateful. thanks phil

Sponsored Links
It is very unlikely that what you have done could have caused that problem. If all that you did was change the IMMERSION heater stats.

How/why this is happening will depend on how the off peak supply and the heaters are wired. I guess you didnt mess around with any time clocks near the meter when you were there???

The only time I have had something like this happen to me was when an immersion element had a L-E short, changed the whole element and still had E7 on constantly. Called a friendly DNO engineer out and found that the teleswitch's contacts had welded shut.

It's fairly uncommom, but can happen.

I've certainly seen one DNO time clock fail in the 'on' position, leaving all the storage heaters on all day long.

OP, did you literally just swap the 2 rod stats and nothing else at all?

Sponsored Links
Yeah i just changed the rods, i had to go back the next day coz the live wire snapped. so do you think the live is returning down the earth then, if i use a martindale will this show the fault, baring in mind im not an electrician just a plumber with basic knowledge, i dont think there is even a time clock for the connection to fuse together.

If you've checked all the basics and they appear to be ok, the I think it is time to bite the bullet and call in a sparks.

I always call in a sparks if something is out of the ordinary and showing a strange fault.

Better to be safe than sorry, and cover yourself these days ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back