Plumbing new washing machine in with pumped hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm fitting a new washing machine. My old one only had a cold fill and now the new one i've got is hot and cold fill. I live in a ground floor flat and the pressure is really poor on the hot water. We fitted a hot water pump a few years ago and it works fine now. My question is, is it ok to fit the washing machine onto a pumped water system?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
My old one only had a cold fill and now the new one i've got is hot and cold fill.

Unless you do a lot of washing at 60 degrees or more it may not be worth the bother - you can get a Y piece that will feed both connections from the cold tap. The washing machine will have an internal heater so you'll still be able to do a hot wash when you need to.

If you want to connect the machine to the hot and cold, I see only two possible problems with it being a pumped supply. The first is the noise the pump makes and whether it bothers you. Secondly, if the flow isn't enough by gravity, the pump may not detect it and not switch on. You won't do any harm by trying it though.

Oh I wish I asked earlier as I've just added a washing machine tap to the hot supply. Never mind it didn't take long. I will try it and see how we get on with the noise, its not very loud, I just hope it detects it. Our hot water is fed from a comunial boiler so ideally i'd like it to work as it would cut down on the electric used by heating the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back