Plumbing quote gripe, am I in the right?

In your letter did you mention that you would like the company to absorb the extra payment as a gesture of good will as you are a loyal returning customer and you want to retain them for future repairs. This is known as the soft approach,the hard approach is usually dismissed immediately.

To my mind I wasn't soft or hard with my email. It just seems that they got the quote wrong & somehow misjudged the work involved, so want me to pay what they should have quoted in the first place.

I think I worded this thread badly from the start.

All I'm really trying to figure out is a possible reason why they had to unexpectedly drain the tank for an extra £55 and they couldn't have included that in the quote from the start?

Sponsored Links
We dont know what went wrong with the quote or the communication.

But the only result is that you feel annoyed over just £55 !

I am being pestered by someone who wants me to give them £25k to get involved in a scam.

Dont worry,the company (although not named) will get wind of this discussion,many monitor social media or have a company do that for them.

Even a basic google search will revel this company.

Like any transaction,always expect to pay more.

If I gave a fixed price quotation and discover that I had made a foreseeable mistake then I would complete the repair within the original quotation.

But then I can afford to treat people as I would expect to be treated myself. Unfortunately most of the world are obsessed with money.

Recently I went out for a meal with a woman who has about £5M or properties and we had agreed to share the bill beforehand. When the bill came she paid her £30 share but only gave £1.50 ( 5% ) as tip. To someone with a good salary of about £60k to not want to give a proper tip to min wage people in a restaurant I thought was awful !

Sponsored Links
Well I haven't said anything here that's deflamitory to the company, if anything I've said I highly rate them - it's in the email I copied and pasted in my first post. This is my first gripe with them.

Yes £55 bothers me. £55 may be peanuts to plumbers but to a blacksmith it's a lot.

High water temps will deplete the internal air 'bubble' in a very short time.
It's not uncommon for the 'flying saucer' that is situated inside the unit to flip itself onto its side , this will also cause the 'bubble' to deplete at a rapid rate.
The way forward would be to install an expansion vessel.

Generally a very reliable units & as Steely has said; with repeated problems an expansion vessel is the answer.

I'd be intrigued to know how the bubble is being re-established. Is this being done correctly??
Lots of my colleges have G3 qualification & most of them couldn't put a nut in a chimps mouth!! F.cking clueless!!

The T&PRV is normally the main culprit & can be cleaned/repaired.

If I gave a fixed price quotation and discover that I had made a foreseeable mistake then I would complete the repair within the original quotation.

But then I can afford to treat people as I would expect to be treated myself. Unfortunately most of the world are obsessed with money.

Recently I went out for a meal with a woman who has about £5M or properties and we had agreed to share the bill beforehand. When the bill came she paid her £30 share but only gave £1.50 ( 5% ) as tip. To someone with a good salary of about £60k to not want to give a proper tip to min wage people in a restaurant I thought was awful !

FFS!! Tony you're going Dutch on a £60 meal??!! No wonder it's only the five fingered widow every night!!

It's the 8 bar blue cold water pressure relief valve below the black cartridge. Not the one on the side of the tank.

IIRC, that part no longer has just a cartridge available, which means a new valve assembly plumbed further down the line. Depending on the plumbing arrangements it may require a partial drain down.

But as said, a picture would help.

IIRC, that part no longer has just a cartridge available, which means a new valve assembly plumbed further down the line. Depending on the plumbing arrangements it may require a partial drain down.

But as said, a picture would help.

Just as a wee aside Dan.
Yes, the inlet group is available on fleebay etc, but you're paying a premium price for it.
Mr CH has competitively priced inlet groups, but minor alteration would be required.

You don't need the whole inlet group though dude.... The expansion relief valve replacement set it's not that pricey and the original is left in situ and capped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back