Plumbing training advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking at going back to college in September of a evening to learn plumbing. It's level 1 city and guilds diploma . I've not any experience at all . Only ever took a radiator off .

Will this be to dificult to learn for me. I'm also not very good at maths. But I'm really keen to learn and I will go great lengths to find stuff out or pick up a book and read and research.

Any advice will be welcome
.. be gentle

Sponsored Links
If you are good with your hands and can take a teacher showing you what to do and then sit exams then yes.

What is it you are trying to achieve with this qualy though? Not better looking at an apprenticeship?

I've looked at that. I'm 33 years old. I work in a dead end factory job were I'm poorly treated I want to go into the maintenance side of things so therefore I need to have the know how in all trades . This course is only one available in my area at le vel 1

level one will only give you the very basic entry into the trade I would think, not even sure if you would get soldering practice etc. Worthwhile seeing exactly what you end up with and what the entry requirements are etc. Going into a level 2 may be a better option, depending on what you want out of it.

Sponsored Links
Thanx. Seeing as I haven't got a clue I they wouldn't let me do level 2 anyway.. I have a mortgage to pay and 2 kids so I can't do any apprenticeships. I wish I could go.back in time when I left school. If I stay in these factory jobs I will be dead be for I'm 50. I want to be out and about taking pride in my work.

Have a look at the gas route into the trade I think that you could find this an easier option, plus plenty of employment when completed.
I wouldn't put too much faith in that level 1 evening course.

The plumbing trade employees are often poorly treated by their employers too Andy!
For instance when I'm on a late one I often think it would be nice to have a daily finish time.

Andyc192 Changing profession can be a challenge but worth the effort,is there a need for another maintenance plumber in your location ?.

A few guys down my part of the country have retrained as dual smart meter swappers,ok its not glamorous but a job that needs doing and very good possibility to progress into smart meter maintenance or management when the exchange programme has finished.

Hope you do well (y) best of luck.

Andyc192 Changing profession can be a challenge but worth the effort,is there a need for another maintenance plumber in your location ?.

A few guys down my part of the country have retrained as dual smart meter swappers,ok its not glamorous but a job that needs doing and very good possibility to progress into smart meter maintenance or management when the exchange programme has finished.

Hope you do well (y) best of luck.

If you’re going to change trade, training to be a meter installer is a good route. Look at Runrec. They do a training course with Gauranteed employment at the end.

Do that for a few years and you couikd work into the repair/replace side of gas work.

I wouldn't mind going into the gas engineer route but finding courses to fit around my 6-2pm shift is difficult. All I can find is plumbing level 1 which is in my area .

source 'earn as you train' companies.
Again it depends on your location and family life but there are opportunities to earn & train in many professions from commercial pilots to meter ex changers (both are in need of operatives) different pay thou (n).

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back