Plumbing washing machine - no easy access to external drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all :)

Have just bought a house that we're having quite a bit of building work on. We are converting a connected out-building into a utility room and want to put a washing machine in there. Theres no water connection, but this can be arranged - but our plumber has said it just can't be done as there is no external drain right outside to take away the grey water.

I had a similar challenge in my previous house - although the external drain was somewhat closer - and the plumber simply fed a grey pipe out through the wall and along the house to the drain. It worked fine for the 5 years I was there.

There is a "built in" drain (ie one that is set straight into the concrete with no open access) closer to the utility but the only open drain is around the back of the house.

I would be happy to have a water pipe fed around the side of the house to the open drain - I know it wont look absolutely amazing but the balance of not having a utility room with a washing machine is more of a problem than a strip of plastic pipe along the side of the house.

Am I really missing something here - or is there any way it could be done easier?

thanks for any replies

P
x

Sponsored Links
If any one has any thoughts on this, I'd be really, really grateful ... I even dreamt about washing last night :-/ (Weido!)

It is quite difficult to advise with such relatively little info. I am not a plumber but a Gas Service Engineer, so this is to stimulate dicussion:

First, is your "open drain" a rain water gully, or for grey water. You can't use it if it is for rain water.

The closed drain is likely to be "foul", the contents of which, eventually, mix with the "grey"(?).

So, ignoring costs for the moment, can a drain pipe be laid fom the w/m to the covered drain?

It is very rare that nothing can be done about any situation, but it is quite often that the costs involved are beyond that which a client is able/prepared to pay. Have you placed any financial restraints on the job?

Also, is your plumber a REAL plumber. If he is one of many that "just does a bit", and he may not fancy the groundwork element.

To be fair, when I first set up on my own, I did small plumbing jobs, but I would never have done this type of work, BUT I would have got someone else, or recomended someone that would.

Finally, the problem with the simple route, i.e. around the house, is that you may not acheive the required "fall". This would not stop it working initially, but will eventually foul and get blocked, and in the winter may freeze

Am I really missing something here - or is there any way it could be done easier?
Your plumber probably doesn’t want to do it because what you’re asking him to do won’t comply with current Building Regulations.

You need to connect into & provide access via an inspection hatch over the “built in” drain if it’s suitable.

Sponsored Links
I didn't dream about washing last night, but I did dream about soakaways.....may not be possible or even legal but as my house has a septic tank there's not a lot of difference in the end.
John :)

saniflow might sort out your probloem but you need to check your washing machine with unit and see if it compatable

Your plumber probably doesn’t want to do it because what you’re asking him to do won’t comply with current Building Regulations.

You need to connect into & provide access via an inspection hatch over the “built in” drain if it’s suitable.
More likely he`s afraid of a bit of graft :rolleyes: Prima Donna Gas Safe , I`ll bet :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back