Plumbingwise.....do you think this is wise....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My waste water plumbing is plastic (Marley), installed 1973. All good quality stuff, complying with all the necessary certificates. I have recently acquired an all singin all dancin washing machine that has a drum cleaning cycle that heats up to 90 deg centigrade. Whereas the machine might be designed for such temperature, will my plumbing live with that? The machine discharges straight into a plastic down pipe with a trap and then into a plastic soil pipe system.

Sponsored Links
check the discharge temp.I doubt it would be 90 degrees. more likely the machine would discharge at a much lower temp. check the manual or ask manufacturer.

It depends on the quantity of discharged water and the specific type of plastic used to make the pipe
Thanks for your input. Whereas I could determine the quantity of water discharged, I dont know if I could find the info about the plastics used in the pipework due to age of the pipework, 1973. All I can say is that the Marley plastics pipe would have been the highest standards available at the time. I believe all materials used in a building had to have something called aggregate certificates.

Sponsored Links
check the discharge temp.I doubt it would be 90 degrees. more likely the machine would discharge at a much lower temp. check the manual or ask manufacturer.
I will do this. To be on the safe side, I may even run into the down pipe cold water to keep things cool.

Many people drain their boiling pans straight into the sink with no trouble. I haven't seen any threads where people have had trouble with pipes melting, of any age! Don't worry(y)

. All I can say is that the Marley plastics pipe would have been the highest standards available at the time. I believe all materials used in a building had to have something called aggregate certificates.
Agrement.....Marley @ the time was indeed thicker than other makes, both pipe and fittings.

Many people drain their boiling pans straight into the sink with no trouble. I haven't seen any threads where people have had trouble with pipes melting, of any age! Don't worry(y)

My wife has done that for years with no discernable effect on the waste pipes. Doesn't stop me following up by running some cold water down the sink, which is probably even more likely to bust the superheated pipe.

A bottle of one-shot is likely to do more damage and thousands of bottles of that are sold month in month out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back