Plume Management Kits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had a look through the search results but I have to admit I'd given up after 2 pages!

Just want to know if anyone can confirm that Plume Management Kits can or cannot be fitted by a DIYer?

As is often the case, there are conflicting comments on this and other forums. The reason for requiring one is I intend on constructing a polycarbonate roof along the side of my house parallel to next door's similar set up. It's just to store wellies, bikes etc out of the rain really. Also, our flue currently doesn't appear to be 2.5m from next door - is this a legal requirement or just "hot air"?

Not too bothered either way though as next door's flue plumes right in to our back door so we can't leave it open!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Cheers Pete,

Guess that'll be more money to fork out. Might just try and think of some alternatives because as much as I am all for safety and not mucking around with stuff you do not know a thing about, I also think that there are occasions where consumers are over a barrel.

Not to worry, cheers for info!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan,

Appreciate your comments - I'm an educated man and can follow instructions so it just causes a feeling of upset when you're not 'allowed' to make what constitutes very minor alterations to what is effectively some plastic ducting!

Ok, I understand it isn't as simple as that but little jobs such as this are somewhat of a nice little revenue stream for folks who can install whereas to the layperson, it is more than likely a very straightforward and simple job to do - so long as instructions and guidance are provided.

That's just my opinion though - and it doesn't mean I would ever carry out works which I wasn't fully competent at doing nor would I ever compromise the safety of my family or myself.

I'm not too sure why an PMK wouldn't suffice but I am sure that somewhere there is an appendix of regulations which will state why!!

Cheers

Do you have a calibrated FGA?

You probably know that I don't have one Dan!

But I wouldn't have thought one was required to redirect the vapour a foot above where it is currently extracting from. No modifications whatsoever to the internal workings of the boiler or the like.

Surely the annual service covers the analysis of the flue gasses, which I assume are measured within the boiler's own gas analysis test point, as opposed to being accessed externally?

Looking at the instruction manual for the boiler it reads the following:

FLUE SYSTEM
The terminal should be located where the dispersal of combustion products is not impeded and
with due regard for the damage and discoloration
that may occur to building products located nearby.
The terminal must not be located in a place where
it is likely to cause a nuisance (see fig. 4).
In cold and/or humid weather, water vapour will
condense on leaving the terminal; the effect of
such pluming must be considered.
If installed less than 2m above a pavement or
platform to which people have access (including
balconies or flat roofs) the terminal must be
protected by a guard of durable material. The
guard must be fitted centrally over the terminal.
Refer to BS 5440 Part 1, when the terminal is 0.5
metres (or less) below plastic guttering or 1 metre
(or less) below painted eaves.

This is very easy for me to digest - I would have ensured that any modifications would have been in line with the guidance in the manual (along with relevant information provided with said PMK).

Although, if a calibrated FGA were required, I have located numerous companies who can offer a short term hire of one of their devices at a significantly lower cost than paying someone a few hours labour to install the PMK!!

I'd still much prefer to stand back and admire my own work though.....

I have located numerous companies who can offer a short term hire of one of their devices at a significantly lower cost than paying someone a few hours labour to install the PMK!!

No problem Jon as long as you are able to decipher the combustion reading , my guess being you're not. ;)

Haha, no need to decipher anything as it's not going to happen. My original point being simply that for such a medial task, there is a significant amount of tape to negotiate!

I will be knackered when I am no longer suitably 'qualified' to change my car's brakes and service it myself in case I endanger anyone

Haha, no need to decipher anything as it's not going to happen. My original point being simply that for such a medial task, there is a significant amount of tape to negotiate!

I will be knackered when I am no longer suitably 'qualified' to change my car's brakes and service it myself in case I endanger anyone

I feel your pain :mrgreen: , if it's any consolation I'm the biggest rule breaker in the gas industry. ;) (safety being paramount) , yes I hate red tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back