plyboard + tiling

J

jeepster

hi all, having a new bathroom window fitted, its got a trickle vent in it.

problem is that the trickle vent cant be fitted as it fouls the tiles fitted to the top of the window recess.

is it, any ideas. i had considered removing the tiles (10mm porcelain) then chopping out the plasterboard and replacing the plasterboard + dot and dab with wbp ply. i would have to glue this to the lintel currently covered in plasterboard. any ideas or wouldnt this be safe as the plasterboard must give the lintel some protection in case of fire.

doing this would increase the internal window recess height by 15mm so could then refit the tiles and the trickle vent. else it means cutting the tiles to fit around the vent

Sponsored Links
Possibly me but I’m finding it a little hard to follow this; I can’t envisage why the trickle vent on a new window would foul the window reveal, why wasn’t it positioned to suit or has the reveal not been tiled yet? Neither do I understand how removing the tiles & plasterboard form the lintel (what’s + dot & dab?) & replacing it with WBP ply of a suitable thickness will help. With dry lining, standard is 12.5mm plasterboard (usually 2 x 12.5mm) around the window reveal; this helps prevent cold spots & gives the steel lintel at minimum of 30 minutes fire protection.

WBP ply is a poor choice for a wall tile base & a bad idea where it will be subject to ambient moisture changes from both the window & the bathroom; this can cause the ply to warp resulting in tile failure. I don’t really understand how removing what you currently have & replacing it with WBP ply will help, what thickness is on there now & what thickness of ply were you thinking of replacing it with? If you want to re-board the lintel with anything other than PB, use waterproof tile backer board which will remain dimensionally stable & unaffected by moisture. Normal practice is to stick the PB onto the lintel (I use grab adhesive) but you need use an adhesive that will be effective with whatever backer board your going to use.

Richard C";p="1866749 said:
Possibly me but I’m finding it a little hard to follow quote]

Its not just you Richard, i am at a total loss as to understand why strip out something and them re pack it with something else.I dont understand at all

Sponsored Links
What :eek: that’s' nice; :confused: & happy new year to you too. It’s really not my fault that you have no grasp of what you are doing or how to explain it. I'm always willing to help but you just confirmed my suspicion that you are actually a brain dead total vanker!

Mods get rid of this idiot :rolleyes:

its not as though we are taking the mickey, we were explaining that we were at a loss to understand what you meant, you could of at least had the decency to try and re-explain to us so that we may have been able to offer advice

Personally i am glad that there are not to many people like you who come on here asking for our help, we come on here to help people NOT to be ABUSED

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back