Plywood insulating properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following my other thread, where I was trying to both even out a wooden floor and also sound proof as much as possible I am now on to putting down 4 or 6mm ply with some quality rubber (timbermate excell etc) underlay..

This seems as if it will provide a better solution and keep the guarantee of my laminate (which states not to use two floating floors)

Is 4 or 6 mm ply acceptable here - i.e. I know it will smooth out the floor, what effect if any will it have on sound?

Any issues with this plan for a 1st floor flat?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you're putting down rubber, then ply on top, then soft underlay, then laminate?
I have misgivings about putting ply on top of the rubber, because all the screws/nails will effectively provide an acoustic 'bypass' past the rubber, allowing footfall to couple directly into the floorboards.

Maybe just forget the soft underlay altogether and stick with the rubber, assuming it's suitable for laminate, like the Sonic Gold? Alternatively, since you're obviously concerned with noise and willing to spend a few ££, have you truly ruled out carpet? Laminate is hard wearing, but in nearly all other respects it is inferior to other coverings.

Last edited:
sorry - no - I mean ply sheet it to smooth it out - then a good underlay on top. (I might stick with the cheaper fibreboards only in low traffic rooms)
Only one room is really uneven - I think with original floorboards, the others seem to have been replaced at some point.

Not sure if I am willing to spend a few £ lol - just want what will not completely annoy downstairs and protect the floor as much as possible (we are quiet enough people, dont stomp about with shoes on etc).

Carpet is gone - I have 40 boxes of the stuff all over the flat and the rest of the decorating has been done to match.

Ah. Plywood won't help you acoustic-wise. It's already a wooden floor, so plywood is just 'more of the same'.

Sponsored Links
as I thought - the ply is mainly to even it out - it certainly (hopefully) wont make it louder!

The rubber stuff is for the sound - I have no experience here - sorry for all the daft questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back