PME understanding how it works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear list

I live in a mid 70's house here in Sussex UK.
Some of the water pipes are indeed bonded together but not all!
Am I PME or not?

I ask as I am currently working on a radio based matter that may have a large influence depending on the type of house wiring.

If I measure between Negative and Earth there does seem to be a connection of say 100 ohms or so, along with this there is a varying AC voltage of 30 mV, hardly any current.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Can't say from that information.

If you can post a photo of your service head, and consumer unit etc, we will be able to get a much better idea.

If I measure between Negative and Earth there does seem to be a connection of say 100 ohms or so, along with this there is a varying AC voltage of 30 mV, hardly any current.

It's neutral, not negative.
Also, with a PME system I would expect there to be a very low resistance between neutral and earth, certainly not 100ohms due to the earth originating from the PEN conductor at the intake.
This does however depend on what and where you're measuring and your chosen instrument. Is it calibrated?

Between which neutral and which earth are you measuring?

Would the radio based matter involve a separate earth to mains fed equipment by any chance?

Is it 'hi-fi' based radio or HF/uhf radio?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back