Pocket sprung mattress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone on here have one and if yes, how do you like it? Note I'm not referring to the ones that also have a layer of memory foam, I'm referring to the ones that are just the pocket springs with padding.

I've read, if you get a decent one, they're a step up (progression you could say) over the traditional open coil construction.

Sponsored Links
Haven't bought anything other than pocket sprung mattresses in many 10s of years.

There's a wide range of prices, quality and materials used in them, though.

Some have Talalay foam rubber or memory foam in the paddings.
Some have had 'firm edge' others not.
Some are no turn others have summer / winter sides when turned.
Some have sprung base, others flat, others can be designed for bed slat bases.

Horse hair is still used in the best ;) along with a lot of other natural materials, wools and felts from different animals etc.,..

The number of springs can be a minefield (some count springs stacked one upon another as two, or a spring within a spring also as two or more). Worth doing some reading up before committing many hundreds if not thousands on one.

Haven't bought anything other than pocket sprung mattresses in many 10s of years.

There's a wide range of prices, quality and materials used in them, though.

Some have Talalay foam rubber or memory foam in the paddings.
Some have had 'firm edge' others not.
Some are no turn others have summer / winter sides when turned.
Some have sprung base, others flat, others can be designed for bed slat bases.

Horse hair is still used in the best ;) along with a lot of other natural materials, wools and felts from different animals etc.,..

The number of springs can be a minefield (some count springs stacked one upon another as two, or a spring within a spring also as two or more). Worth doing some reading up before committing many hundreds if not thousands on one.
Cheers and yeah, the 'spring count' thing is something I've noticed! I've been looking at this one. It's for my elderly mum when she comes to stay, so won't be used nightly. Having said that, I still want to get something at least half decent to ensure she gets a decent sleep.

Having bought a mattress in the last 6mths all I can say is it is a lot less firmer when I sit on the edge than the last one.

My latest one is like that (had it a couple of years), but remains quite firm in the centre, where you lay on it. I put it down to lack of a frame around the edge of the mattress. It is also single sided, you do not turn it over. It was delivered as a roll, took 24 hours to fully expand. It claimed to have a 'blue memory foam', for coolness.

Sponsored Links
I still want to get something at least half decent to ensure she gets a decent sleep.
Can you still get the mattress she sleeps on at home and is she happy with it?

In which case buy her a new one that she sleeps on when at home and put her existing one on her part time bed.

Can you still get the mattress she sleeps on at home and is she happy with it?

In which case buy her a new one that she sleeps on when at home and put her existing one on her part time bed.
Good point. She's actually not convinced her current mattress is ideal for her anymore, hence me considering the pocket sprung for her. From what I'm reading so far, they 'might' be better for older folk that are experiencing aches and pains due to the design allowing for more contouring to the body. However I'm long enough in the tooth to know much of this might be marketers guff!

I'm surprised at some on here saying open coil is a thing of the past. Still lots of them for sale by small and big brands alike.

Cheers and yeah, the 'spring count' thing is something I've noticed! I've been looking at this one. It's for my elderly mum when she comes to stay, so won't be used nightly. Having said that, I still want to get something at least half decent to ensure she gets a decent sleep.

The spring count is usually based on a kingsize if you bought a single the spring rate is pro rata

Sponsored Links
Back