Pointing advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you point old victorian brickwork,where bricks have been layed with mortar joints which are 3 and 5mm wide.
I dont think you can get a grinder blade this thin but wouldnt want to damage bricks anyway.also what is the best way to point it as jointer or mortar gun would be a struggle.thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
A diamond blade and some care. Carborundum discs and mortar rakes are too thick.

A gun is no good either, so just the traditional way with a pointing trowel.

Ive been advised bag jointing and sponging off would be the best way.does anyone have any experience doing this or is there any fault in doing it.it seems more logical than trowel as it would be forcing it into the joint whereas trowelling into a 3mm mortar joint would be painstaking and not as effective i would think ?

Sponsored Links
What kind of bricks are they. eg Accringtons. Should be lime mortar, you may be able to rake out with an old hacksaw blade. Use a tuck pointing tool to repoint.

Ive been advised bag jointing and sponging off would be the best way

Told by a floor tiler no doubt.

That will look a right mess and yoy won't get the necessary weathering finish on the joint that you can only get by compression done with a trowel.

It was by a bricky.i agree with u on the finish but its a 150 year old building and the joints are on average 3mm running to virtually butted together,there is mo way possible to trowel it in most places

On another note,what would be the best way to remove spalled bricks to be replaced ?

Told by a floor tiler no doubt.

That will look a right mess and yoy won't get the necessary weathering finish on the joint that you can only get by compression done with a trowel.

I dont want to sound unappreciative of the advice btw,ive done shed loads of pointing and it glorified grouting in my eyes aswell just its a new one on me aswell but the joints seriously are too small to trowel,grinding or raking out is going to be fun aswell

was by a bricky

I doubt it. Someone masquerading as one.

It's not glorified grouting either. There is a specific function of pointing, and a pointing a 3mm joint is no different to pointing a 10mm one.

And it can be done without smudging mortar all over the place, at the detriment of the rest of the bricks. But just aesthetically either, you will be replacing more spalled bricks in the future with smudgers advice there.

Client has been to job and specified bag jointing it.thanks for opinions though,would have been great to be told in advance ha

Make sure you get the right mortar mix, as it can be tricky using sand that been through a 4mm sieve on 3mm or less joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back