Pointing stock brick wall

SMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Son has a terraced house, about 100 years old, built with red stock brick. The space between bricks is enough to get a diamond angle grinder blade in & create a perfect gap for new mix. I want to use a pointing gun, which is also a grouting gun. The thin grout nozzle is perfect for the job, the question is, what type of mix can I use that is smooth enough to go through the nozzle?
I dont want to use a mastic.

Any help please.

Sponsored Links
Are you absolutely sure that the stock brick needs re-pointing?

Unless you are skilled in pointing, & steady with an angle grinder, i should be very cautious about grinding out stock beds and perps.

I would be even more cautious about pointing stock brick with a gun. The odds are that the grout nozzle will constantly plug up, and if the mix is made too sloppy then its a waste of time pointing.

Traditionally stock brick was pointed up with linseed oil based pointing mastic that came in tubs.

Have a good practice on common brickwork before approaching the stock brick.
If you get it wrong on the stock brick it will shout out what a terrible job.

Thanks for that M8, I have already had a play with the angle grinder & gotten a nice groove. A couple of bricks are very loose & mastic is out of the question. Blocking the nozzle is my main concern, I have used this gun on grout (Tiles) & pointing my own wall with average gaps, so I feel ok using the gun, but I don`t know of a product that iis small & smooth enough to use.

St Astier do a pumperable (?) lime mix, its got tallow in it to make it flow. Its available in many colours. Expensive though, £15 per 5kgs tub (2001 price).
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thanks Vlad! (Dracula). I will check it out. I ground out the old stuff, it seems it was a mastic which has been pointed over with a brown mix that has hardened.

(EDIT) What an assortment. Seems like a NHL 3.5 mix in Oakwood Tarn is the perfect replacement. I have sent e mails to a few companies to ensure it can be used with a grout gun, things are looking up. Thank you.

Last edited:
Just an update, a company called Stone Tech (Cleveland) Ltd do a product called Gunlime, in different colours, 3.5 HDL, fine mix. 25k mixed powder £12 + vat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back